Make your own marketing materials

Having a successful business means successful marketing, as we all know. Along with cold calling, cold emailing, and word-of-mouth marketing, it’s just as important to have professional materials that you can physically hand someone. Lately, while out and about doing day-to-day errands, I make it a point to talk about what I do. What always follows is a request for my business card. I love my business cards, but I know I also need something more.

When I contact new prospects, I need to be ready to send them a brochure as well. Sure, my website is a brochure of sorts, but everyone has a website these days. Anyone can make a cold call or send an email. But a freelancer who uses a variety of marketing materials, both online and on paper, will stand out in the crowd.

Luckily, there are lots of options for getting printed materials for your business. You can hire a graphic designer and then hire a printer, you can try printing things from your own home, or you can use an online document producing and printing company.

You can create your own documents right on their site. Making your product is simple, and you can type text, add pictures, and move things around quite easily. You can also upload a finished project or use one of their templates. When you’re planning a major marketing campaign, details are important. You can get an idea of the paper types by ordering the samples ahead of time. I like to know the weight, the texture, and how light affects the paper when I have a serious project.

As a freelance writer, I sometimes run across clients who need printed materials as well. A reasonably-priced printing service is a great complement to my business. Besides brochures, you can try magnets, calendars, catalogs, window clings, envelopes, and a whole host of other marketing materials. And yes…even business cards.

Have you ever used an online printing company?

32 Responses to “Make your own marketing materials”

1. A good find! I’ve often pulled together some basic graphics and then handed these over to a designer to ‘polish’ and prepare for print, I’ve never tried the more direct route.

How have you found the finished article? I’d be a little nervous of spending a fortune on print and then it looking very amateur.

2. Thomas says:

Thanks for reviewing such a site for us Theda. I guess I am going to look it up. I have been looking at getting a new printer for my brochures as my old printer never delivers on time and neither does he follow instructions. I think Uprinting.com can solve all my problems. Just one question, how do they deliver and is the delivery done on time?

3. Jack says:

I think it is great that there is such a service available. I often find that I am unhappy with the job that the printer does. It doesn’t turn out the way I visualize it. Being able to design it myself, I guess I would be able to create a product that satisfies me. Thanks for sharing this.

4. David says:

Thanks for reviewing this site for us Theda. I think most of us will find it helpful. I, myself, checked it out when I read this post of yours. It seems like the right place for me. I am very fussy about the designs on my brochure, the way the text is placed etc. I like it to be the way I visualize it. And as you have probably guessed, it doesn’t turn out that way more often than not. I will give this website a try and will let you know how it worked for me. Thanks a ton.

5. Smith says:

Thanks a lot Theda for sharing details about this site with us. It does seem like a good idea to be able to design your own pamphlets and cards. If nothing, that will at least guarantee satisfaction that it was the best you could do given the budget. Thanks again.

6. Harry says:

HI Theda, thank you for reviewing this site. I am sure most people who are self employed will find this to be a printing solution to their advantage.

7. Jenny says:

This is really a news, and I think that a freelancer handing out a business card or a brochure will actually make some heads turn. Moreover it gives the customers a chance to take a quick look at what you offer. And I liked this Uprinting.com too, choosing the look of your business card and brochure as well as the price is not easily available.

8. Alex says:

Hi Theda, Thanks for sharing this information with us. It does help being able to design your own material. I am sure a lot of people will find this helpful.

9. Patrick says:

This post Theda is going to solve a lot of problems people had been facing till now. I don’t think we had a choice to make the printer print our business card or brochure in the way we imagined it to be. We could give instructions but the implementation wasn’t in our hands, and we had no choice but to accept the product. Moreover this site cuts a lot of costs also which would have incurred while getting things printed.

10. Ronny says:

Wow! This is probably one of the best deals for marketing material. Thanks sharing with us!

11. Thomas says:

I think printed material makes a lot of impact on the client. If you tell someone about your product and hand out a printed leaflet or brochure along with it then it will help the client to know about your product in details and the client will also have a way to get back to you as he has your contact details with him. I think printed material provide a solid background to your business.

12. Localism says:

Hi Theda, I think this is a great way of making sure that your printing expenses don’t go overboard. If you can design with materials that fall within your budget, there is no chance that you overshoot it. Thanks for reviewing this site for us.

13. Ben says:

I like that people can get things printed so easily now for their marketing, but hate it when they print poor quality images etc. – nothing looks more unprofessional than a pixelated image!

14. I did online printing when I first started my practice but the reliability was questionable. I found a small local print shop and they handle everything for me and on time.

15. Denzil says:

Thnks for the nice write up. I am a fan of designing my own marketing material but am currently starting to lean towards a more direct route by using Vistaprint (I think they are based in Belgium). Great bargains to be had and good quality

16. Very helpful information… I have always used a local printer but this is good to know for future.

17. Hello Theda! thanks for sharing your article and I really learned a lot especially I am a newbie in this online marketing.

18. Thank you for the reviewing the site. Though the world seems to revolve on the internet still printed materials are important to everyone. And it has to be unique to gain attention.

19. Keith says:

I think its all about making a good impression on your clients, the moment your impression weakens you loose your potential buyers. If you give your clients impression about a strong business background, they feel secure in dealing with you. And if you make use of a detailed and well printed brochure, pamphlet or even a business card, your image only seems to soar high in the eys of the customer.

20. Rob Mayer says:

Hi Theda and thanks.

I like your post … now I need to try something you mention in your post, sending a brochure!
    I know a successful marketer Mike Fielsame (if I have his name written right) he uses off line booklets too in his business … seems to be working great for him.

I need to implement that approach!

Thanks again have a nice day
    Rob

21. Great Blog Post! Marketing Material is so important to you business and getting good quality material is a must!

22. fisio says:

23. Always very risky going through a company like this! Ive found them in my experience to be a waste of time!

24. Simen says:

Print quality is always a major issue. At least when it comes to price, online shopping for best print pricing is pretty unbeatable!

25. Jim Bennett says:

As a business owner in this industry. I can tell you of many horror stories that customers have told me about the “print it yourself” sites such as the ones referenced in this post. It’s always best to use a company who will offer a proof, not instant proof. An instant proof just takes your image and fits it into a template. Not the same thing as a real proof, that a human being works on.

26. James says:

Having started a new job I was clueless about the marketing aspects of it. Till now,I was making use of the traditional ways like placing ads and word-of-mouth marketing.

27. penyewaan ac says:

thanks for your review of uprinting.com, It’s very usefull for me since I’m self employee

28. Kristine says:

I will have to check this out. I have used one online printing company but was not completely unsatisfied. I like the idea of ordering samples as this is what I need. I want to feel the stock first before committing to an order, especially if it’s a large order.

29. julie says:

I agree that you should have a brochure as well as a website. People like to view materials in different forms. I also use UPrinting. They are great!

30. Rex says:

That’s smart thinking, that having both a website (which almost everyone has) and also a physical paper brochure (which few will also have) can make you stand out. It could even potentially be a large factor in the decision to hire you over others. Thanks for the tip about Uprinting and wishing you success.

31. Joni says: