Don’t be shy!

Silhouette of birds

Okay, you’re self-employed. You have a wonderful freelance business. Maybe you’re a photographer, a graphic designer, a website designer, or a copywriter. Maybe you bake cakes, make jewelry, or fix cars. Whatever your business, there’s almost no way you can get customers if you don’t tell people you’re open for business. In other words, you have to market yourself.

But it’s more than just marketing. Sure, you can put an ad on LinkedIn, make prospecting calls, or send out postcards. But you also need to really tell people about your business.

Be a squeaky wheel. Talk to random strangers, tell your friends (and maybe your enemies), boast to your doctor/dentist/priest. If you have children or you’ve been around someone who does, you know how he always bring the conversation around to how great his kid is. Well this is what you need to do with your business. Everyone should know about it, just like everyone knows that Ms. Jones’ three-year-old can tie her own shoes.

I haven’t been great about shouting from the mountaintops about Theda K. Communications. But like the start of the fall season, I am turning over a new leaf. Fair warning to the next person who finds himself in line behind me at the grocery store.

Have you told everyone that you own a business? What are you waiting for?

28 Responses to “Don’t be shy!”

1. Kenny says:

In other words what you are actually trying to say is that we need to market our business to make people aware of our presence. And I think that it is the most common thing about all business ventures. According to me marketing is the deciding factor behind your businesses success or failure.

2. I totally agree. Talking about your business, using the opportunities out there to get your message across all make sense and are powerful additions to traditional marketing. I knew this but it is lovely to hear it from a professional. Thanks

3. Paul says:

I totally agree with you Kenny that marketing your business is the very important and deciding factor for the success or failure of your business.The most important thing is to make your presence felt among your customers and create a unique identity of yourself so that you can attract as many clients as possible.

4. For business that many people use, like a grocer, it makes sense to market to everyone. For businesses that are very specific (say, a tool & die company) you won’t get any leads that way.

5. marketing your business is not an eight hour a day job it is a 24 hour a day 365 days a year process. Word of mouth does more to grow a business or kill a business than anything else you can do. To get out in front of that and control the process some is what is important

6. nicholas t says:

Why should you be shy to promote your own business? A lot of people don’t dare to start one up!

7. It’s true. You have to get over being shy and be able to talk about your business. The good thing is that the more you talk about it, the easier it gets!

8. Ted says:

We have a start-up, and often found ourselves are too shy to promote the company. Thanks for your tips

9. Online Marketing of a business is not just enough to get customers, it should be equally supported by physical marketing as well spreading a word of mouth about your business among your friends and strangers, distributing pamplets and displaying big hoardings for advertisements are some of physical marketing forms, which are ultimately important for any business whether online or physical to grow.

10. Peter says:

Being shy about your business will only restrict its growth, whatever it is wherever it is, don’t be shy of telling people about it. Infact you should be happy that you have it, there are many who want to start a business but can’t because of reasons whatsoever. Marketing will help your business grow and survive.

11. jadtechnic says:

NIce article Promoting a business is not for the weak and is 24/7 job

12. Andrea says:

I wish I wasn’t so shy and was better able to talk to random strangers. People do it to me all the time, and I must admit that every once in a while, someone has something I’m interested in, so it really is worth it to approach people as long as you don’t become a nuisance and people start avoiding you!

13. When I read this, I remembered about something I read a while ago:

“They say that within 6 degrees of separation, everyone knows everyone. So you need to make sure that everyone within your 1st degree (i.e. people you know), know exactly what you do. … Your current network of friends, family, and associates are your free word-of-mouth marketing – so get them talking about you right now.”

So we shouldn’t be shy and let everyone know what we do!

14. Henry says:

Being shy will not help anyone, and specially when you have to let others know what you are doing. A business needs promotion and your shyness may pose a big threat to it. Whatever you do, just go ahead and let people know what are you up to, trust me it surely helps.

15. James says:

It is very important to give up all the shy ways to promote your business as this article explains.Marketing your business is very important and online marketing can help to fetch many clients.Also sending advertising emails to clients helps to fetch some customers.Thanks for sharing this article and it was very interesting reading this article.

16. Meena says:

Thanks for the article. I am by nature shy and have difficulty boasting about my business. I think I will have to work on it.

17. Pankaj Tyagi says:

How about using LinkedIn to spread the word. You may have overtime built ip a network. Does anone have experience with that?

18. Blog Design says:

I’ve taken the plunge and I’m not regretting it one bit, the best move I ever did

19. James says:

The way you market your business reflects the difference between you and your competitors.The marketing strategies today are quite diverse and are no longer restricted to print, radio and television.We can also engage customers through online marketing.Thanks for sharing this article and it was quite interesting.

20. Harry says:

I think it is important to become bold and start talking about your business to friends and relatives.Social networking is a great medium to advertise your business and it is quite inexpensive and the fastest means of communication.Thanks for sharing this post and it was quite interesting to read.

21. Jenny says:

There are many marketing strategies and the one which helps me is the online marketing.It has huge potential.Social media helps to fetch more and more prospective clients.Also it helps me to test my efforts and know whether i am heading in the right direction or not.Traditional marketing also is very effective and should be implemented to promote your business.

22. Keith says:

After reading this post i have got rid of all my shy ways and begun marketing my business effectively with boldness.I have started using online marketing techniques and they are serving my purpose largely.Also i make it a point to speak to the people i know about my business.

23. Keith says:

I don’t understand the reason behind shyness.If we don’t talk about our business then we cant expect some miracle in our business.I think we should be bold and try out all the ways from our part to market our business.Thanks for sharing this post and I have enjoyed reading it.

24. Harry says:

I believe that talking to people about our business can help us to find many prospective clients.This year round i have given an ad of my business in my church magazine and in this way people can easily know about my business.Apart from this there are many successful online marketing strategies which should be explored.

25. Peter says:

We should try out some of the offline marketing strategies apart from the online ones such as gifting coffee mugs, t shirts and many other things with business name printed on it.This is the best offline marketing strategies which businesses should employ.

26. James says:

I think we should become socially more active and this will surely help us to promote our business.Social media websites are a huge hit these days and so i prefer this as the best marketing technique.Apart from this we can also place our ads on many other advertising websites.

27. Paul says:

I would not say that people are shy to talk about their business but i would rather say that they are not doing all their bit to effectively market their business.We are living in a digital age and we should make the most of all these forms of communication to reach out to our target audience.

28. Smith says:

This year round I will direct all my efforts to market my business more effectively because this is a sole factor that can guarantee success to all my efforts.Hence I will surely work on this.