Time for a change – What’s next?

question mark 3

For the past seven years, ever since my daughter was an infant, I’ve lived in Tucson, Arizona. I can’t say that it was “home,” but I lived there for a chunk of time. I’d actually moved to Tucson from Atlanta, Georgia. Tucson made more sense at that time, when I was a new mother and I wanted to stay at home with my daughter.

Thank goodness Georgia didn’t mind me too much. Crayon Writer’s new home is back in Georgia. We drove across country and we’re starting over. How exciting and scary all at the same time!

What lessons did I learn in Arizona? I’m not afraid of spiders anymore, cactus can be beautiful (who knew that they have such wondrous flowers?), and the desert is nice year round…for the most part. I got to know the mother I became, and my daughter grew up in one of the most unique places in the country (nature-wise). I also learned that diversity isn’t just a good thing in nature. Tucson lacks racial and cultural diversity, so it was time to move back to a place that thrives on diversity.

On the horizon for Crayon Writer is pretty much what I’ve always said I wanted. I will homeschool or unschool my daughter, I will continue to work at home and grow my writing business, and I hope to hire an employee in the next 12 months. I’ve updated my business’ website, and I’ve created Facebook pages for this blog and Theda K. Communications. LinkedIn is also something I’m going to become best friends with.

Change is inevitable. Change is exciting. Change is renewing. So join me on my new adventures in a not-so-new locale.

41 Responses to “Time for a change – What’s next?”

1. HotelGault says:

Good luck to your new life and adventure, as what many people have said, “if you stop changing, you start dying”.

2. Sarah says:

Good luck! Sounds like you’re kind happy to be leaving Arizona, especially as you lived there so long but still didn’t consider it home.

All the best

3. Yeah, moving is scary and the older you get, the scarier it is.
    My parents have been stuck in the moving rut lately and I’m waiting to see what happens with them. They’re afraid to move, but so desperately want to.

4. Good luck! I get extremely nervous when I get tied down to one place, and need to be able to move. Long term commitment issues I guess! At the same time, I never look forward to change.

5. Change is good as long as you continue moving forward. Wish you all the best :)

6. dawwr says:

Good luck to your new life and adventure

7. Best of luck…Life is yours…so just enjoy it… :)

8. Michael says:

Takes courage to move around, especially with a child. I wish you all the best!

9. Adam says:

Change for most people is scary (others find it exciting)! I think in order to develop emotionally we need to get out of comfort zones and challenge ourselves, otherwise we stagnate and never learn. Congratulations on making a new life and having the courage to develop yourself. All the best.

10. Ben says:

GREAT attitude to change! I am always so scared of any big changes, huge admiration to you for looking at life like this.

11. Window Film says:

Looks like you’re on the right track. I’m with you on the issue of diversity. When you’re raising your child you want her to grow up in a socially diverse and tolerant environment.

12. I was doing a search for spiders… how do you get over your fear of spiders?! The daddy long legs are the absolute WORST.

13. Sarif Brock says:

Good luck on the move, I’m sure it will only inspire your job! I remember driving a similar distance, it definitely provided me with loads of inspiration!

14. Landon says:

I lived in Arizona for one year and i lost my fear of spiders as well what a relief they are actually quite facinating creatures

15. yea i think I’d much rather live in atlanta too. tucson sounds pretty boring :)

16. petra jordan says:

Good luck to your new life and adventure

17. Thomas says:

It’s amazing what change can do! It can be a beautiful learning experience, both for you as well as your child. But at the same time you have to ensure that it isn’t creating too much pressure for the two of you. Because, if change isn’t handled the right way and faced with a positive attitude, can have a very unhealthy effect on ones life. All the best for your endeavors!

18. Liz says:

Best of luck in your new home.
    Quite a change from Tuscon! Think of it as a new adventure.

19. John Fox says:

Moving to another town sure sounds scary and exciting at the same time… but as one book that I’ve read said “true happiness is learning not just to accept changes but to embrace changes”. Though I most certainly hope that you moved to Fayetteville since I am with Fayetteville dentistry, Im pretty sure you are and will be doing well in Georgia. Good luck !

20. I’m exactly where you are at right now. I just started homeschooling my daughter, which is doing great, challenging but rewarding. I’m still doing my work at home. I’m also planning to hire an employee to assist me with more tasks. This is amazing, exciting, challenging..but it’s what keeps us going. Good luck to us.

21. Simmons says:

Moving to a new city is one of the major change in life.Even this throw you into a new experience, and it is truth that the natural response to a new experience is fear and stress but brave persons have capability to convert stress into happiness. So best of luck for you and your child’s future.

22. SMR holdings says:

Change is permanent thing that is going to stay here. So better to move on rather than living in comfort zone.

23. arpita says:

Good luck for your life…Enjoy this life with your daughter, so happy new life..so just enjoy it…

24. Thank you for sharing–I’m planning a BIG move my self and yes it is very scary–but I could never stop being afraid of spiders-EVER!!!

25. Joanna says:

“If you stop changing, you start dying” – what is a good saying, I will take note!
    If the case, then I wish you luck in your endeavors.

26. Wishing you all the best of success, admire your spirit of independence, and also love of nature.

27. Alex says:

> Change is inevitable. Change is exciting. Change is renewing.

Great words!

28. Change can be a good thing, so good luck!

29. James says:

Change is the only constant thing in life. So they say, and for a good reason too. Moving out to a new (or not-so-new) place is a daunting task. But once, you get past that, you know that something good awaits you out there. I’m sure your time in Georgia will be more fruitful and I hope you achieve all the targets you have set for yourself.

30. Kudos for your writing business. And thumbs up for your daughter’s home schooling. I personally believe that both homeschooling and work at home are pretty rewarding and beneficial.

31. Susan says:

Hey Theda,

I just came across your blog and read your post on relocating. Though it’s not always easy, I agree with you that “change is inevitable, exciting and renewing.” All the best to you and your family in your new home in Georgia!

Regards,

Susan
    PS I’m sending this a second time to correct a couple of typos. One of my dogs bashed my keyboard and some of the keys jam. Sorry about that. :)

32. I, too, moved from Arizona to GA. To me, AZ is dirty and dusty and ugly but GA is nice and foresty and beautiful. I guess that’s because I lived in the desert for so long. I like the greenery of Georgia.

33. Peter says:

All the best for the new change. And yes you are right when you say that you lived there for such a long period of time and still you can’t call it home. I too am in the same situation. I left my hometown in search of a career but now that I have a settled career I want to go back to my home. This feeling of emptiness is disturbing me from within. I have started to feel this recently but it is a very bad feeling to have. So I am very happy for you that you are going back.

34. Alex says:

It gets very difficult to live in a place you don’t belong to. There are thousands of people who shift their base because of marriage, study or career. But after they shift, they understand the connection they had with their native place. If you can adjust well then its not a problem but if you cant adjust yourself with the changed requirements then living there becomes all the more difficult.

35. Alex Brennt says:

Good luck in your new place. BTW do you plan to move elsewhere soon, or you decided to stay there?

36. But it’s a dry heat! LOL Glad you are doing well and I wish you guys all the luck. Thanks for sharing!

37. I love change and moving around is something I’ve done since childhood. Vienna, Berlin, Cambridge, Sheffield. Been and lived in all of them!

38. J says:

“How exciting and scary all at the same time!” It seems like that’s what life is all about!

39. It sounds like my plans. Life is yours…so just enjoy it…

40. James says:

I believe life teaches us a lot of things, both the ups and the downs. There are times when we take decisions not knowing the future. Shifting is a very courageous decision and specially when the new place has no one you know. Its actually difficult living in a place like that. You should be thankful that you are getting a chance to move back.

41. Stuart says:

I am terrible with change…it’s something genetic I think within me. Having said that, I believe most humans find it uncomfortable. A change is for the better they say right. Good luck and you will find after a month or so, that it will feel like hme again, Stu x