5 Tips for an Extrovert Working Alone

Are you an extrovert working from home or in an introverted field? That’s exactly what I’m doing. I think out loud (really…I talk to myself if I have to). I feel sluggish when I’m alone too much. I’m a “people person” in general. As a writer, however, I spend a lot of time alone. And it’s not the easiest thing in the world for me to do. Lucikily, I’m more of an introverted extrovert, so I can take alone time in semi-long doses. But being alone daily tends to make me off-focus.

Do you consider yourself an extrovert? I’ve come to this conclusion about myself by taking several tests based on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator tests, and I pretty consistently score as an ENFP (the “E” stands for extroversion).

I also really enjoyed this article about introverts, which really made it clear to me that I am, indeed, an extrovert.

So what’s an extrovert working in an introverted job to do? Here are some tips I’ve compiled from “expert” extroverts I know.

1. Recharge your battery every couple of hours. Call a friend, go for a walk, or chat online with a friend.
  2. Find a buddy who has a similar need. Make time throughout the day or week to chat in person.
  3. Consider working in a new location with new people around. If you work from home, try working at a local coffee shop a few days a week.
  4. Go grocery shopping. You’ll be sure to find someone who can help recharge your battery.
  5. If you can’t find someone to talk with or hang out with, try listening to talk radio or watch a short clip of an action-packed movie.

What tips do you have for other extroverts who work alone?

52 Responses to “5 Tips for an Extrovert Working Alone”

1. The 5 Tips for an Extrovert Working Alone you have posted was definitely a nice tip for those people who are extrovert. They do have difficulty with regards to working alone because they are used to working and mingling well with other people.I hope to read more of your post about self-improvements. Thanks

2. Daily Deal says:

Thanks for sharing these tips. I’d definitely consider myself as an extrovert person and I can managed it. I don’t really need a career environment. because I can operate anywhere.

3. Sometimes just watching a movie helps too :)
    Anyhow, nice tips there.

4. Having Skype conversations with other home-workers always helps. You can bounce ideas around.

5. Thanks for the great tips. Because I have work so long by myself it can be hard to get out of certain behaviors.

6. Mark Hoult says:

Other things I find help me through the day:

Sing out loud
    Talk to your cat
    Join a forum or online community
    Engage with the people who visit your website a bit more.

These help me a bit (although I don’t think my singing helps anyone else all that much).

7. Silky says:

I work from home because i have kids with me. There’s never a dull moment like that… it just may not be as work productive!

8. These are such valuable tips especially for people who have to work alone for lengths of time. I try to break up things but switching the radio on and when thing require more concentration I switch if off. I take breaks by visiting starbucks down the road. These tips are really awesome. Thanks for sharing.

9. Perfect! The best post I could have read today. I’m also an extrovert… And sometimes my job is boring and lonely. I’ll try to apply these tips to produce better, or as you said, recharge the batteries. Thanks for tips and sharing this. (Sorry for my bad english)

10. I’m an introvert so no problems for me! Ha

11. Gavin Budd says:

I believe that if you can handle being on your own, if you can handle working in informal conditions and still fully apply yourself working at home can be VERY effective.

12. Silky says:

Working from home gives me such flexibility!

13. That’s really good article. I’m really an extrovert and sometimes I have to work on my own for days (some freelance work) and sometimes, after couple of hours of work it’s basically killing me… What I usually do is going for a walk in a place where I can see people – walking, jogging etc.

14. Interesting post indeed.I really liked the tips you have mentioned here.Specially the fourth one because i really enjoy shopping.Thank you for sharing such a nice post.

15. These tips are really good. I will try to listen audio songs this helps me to get more concentration. Thanks for sharing this information with us.

16. Fuyuko says:

Really great tips I do get lonely when I’m working alone.

17. Alison says:

18. Turtle says:

Those tips are really handy. I find sometimes that if I’m busy working, I can go a whole day or more without talking to anyone. I’m pretty sure that’s not good for your sanity! :)

19. Asinka says:

Nice tips, will work for me. I identify with many of your traits :) .

20. I know exactly what you’re talking about. I think most self employed jobs like writing, web designing, blogging etc can be really lonely at times.

I think it is important to make sure you get a good work/fun balance though. If you’re easily distracted talking to friends might not be such a good idea if you are trying to get work done too!

21. I tend to work form home but this gives me problem on time management between personal and work matters. But good thing I’ve made a plan.

22. mantiz says:

thanks for writing this. My previous job was so boring that I had to quit it. Now I’m sitting at home all day with nothing to do and wishing I was back at work. Wish I’d read this post earlier! :|

23. Alejandra says:

Nice post! Although I can’t consider myself much of a “people’s person”, and I enjoy being and working alone, I can see what you mean about feeling sluggish when this becomes excessive.
    Cheers.

24. Elly says:

Good post…actually I do not have any idea since I’m an introvert

25. Jeanna says:

This is a great post! I find that just getting out of the house to run an errand helps me to feel recharged.

26. I’d definitely consider myself as an extrovert person and I can managed it. I don’t really need a career environment. because I can operate anywhere.

27. These are such valuable tips. I try to break up things but switching the radio on or getting 5mins fresh air.

28. Make a work phone call to somone you haven’t talked to for a long time and build your relationship with them
    Join a forum or online community
    Engage with the people who visit your website a bit more.

29. Great tips, and this has really inspired to try some new ways of getting social contact because some days it drives me crazy. I can definitely relate.

30. These tips are great! I go through the same situation working from home, so I often set an alarm to go off at certain times throughout the day when I’ll get up and do 10 minutes of exercise (yoga or weights) or I’ll power clean for 10 minutes. It helps a lot!

31. I can relate to this. Breaks are really needed. Both me and my husband are working from home, I even homeschool my child. So, I definitely need a break..It recharges me..

32. Steve Brand says:

I’ve never really been sure if I’m an introvert or extrovert (tests I’ve taken have shown both results), but these points here look like something I’m willing to try!

33. Swtor says:

I am actually a work-from-home guy and sometimes I just feel so lonely and alone working all day long in front of my pc.. so to break some time and lighten up the mood I always have my guitar beside me to play some music

34. WhatNewHomes says:

I really enjoyed reading this and totally empathise with you. I have been working from home for nearly ten years and it can get lonely. The tricks of the trade I use is to exercise three times a week during the day which energises me. I also go for a walk if the sun is shining to get some fresh air and I love to go onto Facebook to catch up with everyone. I think even if you can meet for a quick coffee or get outside it really helps. Thanks so much for sharing.

35. Really nice tips, will work for me. I identify with many of your traits

36. Paul says:

An introverted extrovert? I love it. And perfect for working from home. And yes, take breaks.

37. Julie says:

Take the dogs to the doggie park. Dog owners who go there will always strike up a conversation over the dogs. I don’t often get the owner’s names, but I know all of the dog’s names.

38. Jenny Good says:

Great article. I totally relate to craving interaction. I find myself wishing for women to talk shop with, people who are on the same page and get excited over the same things I get excited over (marketing brand strategy and entrepreneurship). Aside from your wonderful tips, I recommend being active in like minded groups of women and attending at least one in-person summit per year. It provides fuel for your journey.

39. That’s really good article. I’m really an extrovert.I try to break up things but switching the radio on and when thing require more concentration I switch if off.

40. Adam says:

An extrovert working alone can be difficult some days! If you are in a situation where you have customers coming and going, it’s fine. On the days when things are quiet, I make use of the time to do admim and phone calls, meet colleagues for coffee or just take the chance to get out and about and find some stimulating company – thanks for sharing your thoughts.

41. T. Nathan says:

I personally recharge myself every couple of hours,Talk to friends etc.it works can keep one centered and focus.REAL TALK…

42. Landon says:

great tips i am going to be in the coffee shop a lot more and take more walks i already take about a walk every 2 hours i cant sit on a computer more than 2 hors strait agan great tips and help

43. James says:

i like working on my own but i think i have problem when i get lonely for weeks and weeks without talking to anyone.

44. Luis says:

I really love working from home, but as you said it’s not the easiest thing in the world. Your tips are just perfect and one thing I really do is take an hour or two to go out for a walk and do grocery shopping.

45. JZEEK says:

Working alone in home is a tough task for most persons, but some find it easy for me its a little bit easy to stay at home and work on my PC but some time i got bored to, so i take little breaks during my working hours to relax my self.

46. Lynn says:

I think working from home is the preferable way to go. The biggest key is to treat it like a business. Set up ‘working’ hours and stick to them and you will find out that you can get more work done in less time.

47. Sam says:

Going for a short walk does WONDERS, it’s the #1 thing that I do during breaks and a 10-15 minute walk or jog is enough to keep me mentally stimulated to finish the day.

48. larry says:

49. Aubrey Ward says:

Awesome tips. Working from home is a great option especially for those with kids and family. But another thing is to set working hours and stick to it. Taking short breaks during work hours will do wonders.

50. Great suggestions for work from home moms. It is best to stick to particular work hours. Taking short breaks every now and then will keep you active.