Do You Need a Freelance Writer?

One of the hardest things about being a freelance writer is convincing businesses that yes, hiring a freelancer is a wise thing to do.

Are you a business owner? Let me guess some reasons you might not think a freelancer is for you.

1.You’re a pretty good writer, right? Why hire someone else to do what you can take care of on your own?

• The simple answer to this is that your time is not unlimited. While you may write exceptionally well, if you have a million other tasks to complete, perhaps writing is something you should outsource.

2. You want control. You’d rather have someone in your office so you can look over his shoulder while he works. You want to see what you’re paying for, while it’s happening.

• This makes sense. That’s why employees generally work in the office. But think about it. Do you really want to hire another employee? There are taxes to pay, paperwork to complete, desk space and computers to provide, paper and other supplies for printing and such, and the list can go on. If you have an employee on-site, you’re liable for workers’ compensation in some cases, and at least liable if they slip and fall in the office. Not to mention that employees converse with others, take bathroom/smoking/snack breaks, check their cellphones and make personal calls, and any other number of off-task activities. All of which you’re paying for…by the hour.
  • A freelancer charges only for time-on-task, especially if you pay them per project. If the cost of brochure copy is an agreed-upon $1000 (for instance), it doesn’t matter if the freelancer takes a shower while banging out your copy. You pay $1000 for the brochure. Period. No need to micromanage. No need to watch over his shoulder. When you purchase a car, you don’t watch each piece being manufactured. You don’t pay by the hour for its assembly. You just pay for the finished product.

3. You know someone who can do it for less. I’m guessing you might have a cousin or a brother-in-law who can write. Why not just give him a few dollars (or nothing at all) and have him write your copy?

• This one isn’t one I’ll answer straight out. If you’ve ever worked with family, you already know this isn’t the best idea in the world. If you haven’t, and you want to give it a try…vaya con Dios. And then hire a professional freelance writer after the ordeal is over.

Are you a business owner? Have you ever hired a freelance writer? Why or why not? Tell us about your experience(s).

19 Responses to “Do You Need a Freelance Writer?”

1. always tried to do the writing on my own but maybe next time its worth hiring the right person

• Why not outsourcing outside the country. I bet it’s cheaper than employing somebody in the office. Though you might not seeking what he’s doing because it’s online, you can make sure he’s working hard by seeing the work results.

2. Techhum says:

If you can afford a writer why not, but if you can’t writing yourself is not that hard

3. Toner Giant says:

We have recently hired a few freelance writers and it was a fantastic decision. They’re very good writers, flexible and the cost of hiring them are lower than a Content agency – with which you are likely to be tied to a long term contract!

4. Why not outsourcing outside the country. I bet it’s cheaper than employing somebody in the office. Though you might not seeking what he’s doing because it’s online, you can make sure he’s working hard by seeing the work results.

5. I have been considering hiring a freelance writer to help with seo for my lawn care company. Thanks for your article, it is very interesting!

6. Judy says:

writing can be so tedious, always better if you can get a professional to do the job!

7. I use (or outsource) writers all the time. It tends to be tricky to find really good ones though. Mostly their writing is better than mine, and they definitely research more than I would! But I still feel the need to go over and edit/shape their writing into my own style. Overall it works out. I usually give them a basic guideline to what I want written, a few sub headlines etc. Thanks – martin

8. Writing is fine, but it takes time to do research especially if you’re not familiar with the topic. I outsource writers so I can give more time to other tasks.

9. Nia says:

Outsourcing can be the only solution for business owners (small to medium)to have enough time marketing their business.

Pay once for a project and the project will be delivered to you.

But for most big companies, hiring a freelance might not be a wise solution.

10. Sean says:

With so many websites offering content creation, it’s hard as a consumer to choose. And nowadays you have to worry about plagiarism and if the article passes copyscape.

11. Cartridge Co says:

I definitely agree! The best decision we made by getting freelance writers. It used to take up so much of my time and couldn’t concentrate on other things that also needed to be done. Plus the Freelance writers are much better at writing than me

12. So far I’ve been trying to write articles by myself, but it is quite difficult form me as English is my second language. Now I’m strongly considering hiring a freelancer to write something for me. Thanks for this post!

13. Hannah says:

It can be either good or bad hiring freelance writer while can take care of all writing needs as you are pretty good in that. But if you don’t have enough time to research on a topic and then write some good stuff for it because you have to handle many more things then it could be better to hire someone to do it for you. But if you make a mistake in hiring the correct person then you have to pay for it. So best of luck.

• Campbell says:

You are absolutely right Hannah, we have to be very careful and should judge certain qualities when hiring a freelance writer. I am mentioning some of very important out of them.
      1.Commitment to quality 2.Thorough researcher
      3.Punctuality
      4.Understands SEO
      5.Professionalism

These are the must have attributes in a freelance writer.

14. nikhil says:

Also if you are looking for quality contents for you blog, you could try out Ann Smarty’s myblogguest.com where there are freelance writers who look to contribute articles for a backlink.

15. Blog Design says:

Good Tips thanks for sharing

16. Curtis says:

I was home schooled for many years and recommend it to many others

Arizonas #1 Roofer

17. Mike says:

Yeah, I think that it’s a wise thing to hire freelance writers. There are a lot of talented writers out there and you can hire them for less that the usual cost, so you might want to consider outsourcing.