Computer virus denial

icons va 4

Call me naive, or maybe optimistic, but I didn’t always “believe in” computer viruses. It’s probably the biologist in me. It’s hard for me to swallow the concept of an inanimate object having a living ailment. And to be fair, nobody really believes that computer viruses are real viruses. Still, I just couldn’t bring myself to admit that they do exist.

So I may sound silly, but there’s no harm in that, right? Wrong. Because of my denial, I refused to buy virus protection for my laptop. And I’ve recently paid the price. After lots of crashing and restarting, I finally took my laptop to a computer repair place. They had to reinstall the operating system (which I could’ve done myself, if only I’d made the recovery disks). Before they did the reinstall, though, they found a whopping 53 viruses! So much for not being real.

On the bright side, I didn’t really have a lot of data on my computer. And I had just done a backup less than a month before the crash. So no harm done, except for the computer repair center’s bill.

Lesson learned? I hope so. I accepted the computer shop’s free Avira antivirus software (which is a pain…now I can’t download video games). But for now, according to that software, my computer is virus-free.

The moral of the story is probably twofold. Just because you don’t believe something doesn’t make it not true. And backup your data often.

Do you use antivirus programs? Which ones?

30 Responses to “Computer virus denial”

1. Dean Saliba says:

I use the following programs:

– Adaware
    – AVG
    – Spybot S&D

AVG is the big guy and I use the other two to mop up anything AVG can’t detect.

Best thing about them is they are all completel free.
    Dean Saliba´s last blog post ..I Am Finally A ReviewMe Premium Market Blog

2. marbella says:

I am glad that you have installed an anti-virus software as I have suffered a great loss of my Hard drive and all the cherished files I had saved in it by not installing it in the very first place. I am also using Avira Antivirus Software which helps me now to protect my CPU from all these nasty little monsters.
    The bottom line is-Viruses do exist so never negelct the warning signs your PC shows to you.

3. Glad youg ot that fixed up, and ya it’s amazing how quick systems can be infected even today when there aren’t precautions taken.

As for myself I use avg on my windows machine. So far so good knock on wood.

4. great post without anti virus no use we should have anti-malware,spy ware removal tools etc
    price comparison´s last blog post ..Broadband

5. Dermana Krem says:

I use the following programs:

– Adaware
    – AVG
    – Spybot S&D

AVG is the big guy and I use the other two to mop up anything AVG can’t detect.

Best thing about them is they are all completel free.

Dean Saliba´s last blog

6. Mia says:

…53 viruses? that’s a lot! I use Norton Antivirus, and I haven’t experienced any problems.

7. Chrissie says:

Self-denial may sometimes end up to an enormous disaster. I am using Avira Antivirus and it’s the best VIRUS protection software I ever had.

8. I use
    ESET smart security
    McAfee
    Kesper
    I think that you can using one of them to solve this problem

9. I backup my backup just to be really secure. I also upload the important docs to skydrive just in case things F up.
    Uncommon Baby Names´s last blog post ..Uncommon and Unique Baby Boy Names

10. Annie says:

11. A computer virus is a computer program that can copy itself and infect a computer. The term “virus” is also commonly but erroneously used to refer to other types of malware, including but not limited to adware and spyware programs that do not have the reproductive ability. A true virus can spread from one computer to another (in some form of executable code) when its host is taken to the target computer; for instance because a user sent it over a network or the Internet, or carried it on a removable medium such as a floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB drive.

12. I use kasperskey and it is great,.before I also dont have any anti-virus in my laptop and I am fun of downloading songs, videos,games etc,.until my laptop shuts down because of too much virus that destroy my files,.but the files are only for entertainment no business matter files because I used different laptop for business,.and now my laptop is absolutely 100% virus free 🙂
    annie @ car window lettering´s last blog post ..Vinyl Lettering

13. kimmy says:

just be careful of your PCs and look after every site and content you download..its true, not all antivirus program works..sadly..
    kimmy´s last blog post ..Specifics of iPhone 4

14. Regina says:

Before, I ignore those viruses because nothing fatal is happening to my PC. But one day when my hard drive was corrupted, I learned my lesson and immediately purchase an anti-virus which is Kaspersky.
    Regina´s last blog post ..LCD TV- Great Addition for Home

15. 53 its a lot !
    Plombier Nantes´s last blog post ..Plombier Nantes

16. you sufferd a lot for viruses.try to use avg and u can also try avira antivirus.i am using these two’s and fortunately i hadn’t faced any big problem yet.

17. Steve says:

53 viruses is really a lot! But the utmost important thing is that your computer is now protected!

I personally use Norton Antivirus, Malewarebytes and Hitman Pro.
    Steve´s last blog post ..Leadership Secret- The Key to Leadership Success

18. Funny Tees says:

I’ve had a few scares in the last few years but most of the time I catch it before any serious damage is done. Sorry to hear that you were infected, it’s always a pain.

I currently use AVG and Malwarebytes anti-malware to keep the stuff at bay. My fallback plan is Sygate firewall, just in case I do get infected that will keep my personal information from being sent out.

There is a program called “R-Kill” (google it, should be first result) that destroys all bad processes when you run it. It’s great for those “Oh shoot, I just got infected” moments.

19. Vega says:

I had to finally get a full version of Norton after countless attacks lol!
    Vega´s last blog post ..Tony Horton live on Fox and Friends June 6 2010

20. Fiori Blu says:

Well I use Norton … never had any virus problem.. for now 😛

21. Daystar says:

I prefer nod32 by eset. It does a good job and doesn’t bring your PC to a crawl.
    Daystar´s last blog post ..AAA Discount for Vista Window Films

22. Orlando DUI says:

Through technology advancement, there are many things that also exist in this world just like what you have said that are inanimate just like these computer viruses. It is really important that you have back up for your files and also a good anti-virus that could protect your computers. And for protection against viruses I personally use Kaspersky.

23. yeap , prevention is better than cure! it’s very important to prevent these incidents from happening!
    james@ improvesearchenginerankings´s last blog post ..Getting indexed search engine

24. I think it is part of human nature to be skeptical of anything that we haven’t personally experienced. But, now that you have experienced a computer virus, I am sure you won’t be caught without protective software again! You live and learn.

25. Karla says:

Before when I am new to computers, and my parents bought me one I really don’t have ideas about computer virus. Until time comes that I encountered computer problems which is actually done by virus my friend taught me about installing anti-virus software. Thanks to him! Now, I’m worrying no more with my computer files!

26. curtain wall says:

It is a shame that we human beings mostly tend to operate on a “you have to see it to believe it” mentality. Some of those computer viruses can be really hard to get rid of and can cause you to lose a lot of data. I hope you weren’t too affected in learning the lesson.

27. Kevin Clarke says:

heres is a brilliant solution that will help protect you and your clients sensitive data on your PC.

It can also save you a great deal of time and money.

1) scan your computer free if you want to know the root problem.( incase people want to charge you for a quotation) this will save you cash.

2) Check for virus and errors with a free online tool. if you are going to use software to repair your computer, make sure that you dont have anything else running.

Get a review first, before commiting to pay for a solution. Look at this reg easy cleaner review, to get some guidance.
    Kevin Clarke´s last blog post ..Why does my computer keep freezing

28. As mentioned above, it is “computer virus” is sometimes used as a catch-all to include all forms of malware, even those who lack the ability to reproduce. Malware includes viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, and more, spyware, adware and other malware dishonest and events, including true viruses

29. Ouch. What a pain but yes trying to believe something doesn’t exist or wont happen doesn’t preclude the fact that it may. I’ve become nearly paranoid over backing up my computers after nearly loosing all of my data.

30. Glad youg ot that fixed up, and ya it’s amazing how quick systems can be infected even today when there aren’t precautions taken.

As for myself I use avg on my windows machine. So far so good knock on wood.