Print or online?

Walking on the papers

I read a lot of articles online, especially as a Twitter user, and it’s really interesting to learn so much. I even get most of my news online, I chat with my friends online, and more. I feel like the character in “The Net.”

But I am really getting tired of reading everything on-screen. I have multiple windows open so I can get back to an article later, I have tons of bookmarked pages (that I’ll probably never read), and it’s just too much.

I know that we’re supposedly headed toward a paperless world, but I sure do miss reading with actual paper in my hand. Pages to flip through. Ideas I can highlight with a pen. Eventual scrap paper for random thoughts that pop into my head.

It’s not feasible to print everything though. The sheer number of interesting things to read makes it impossible. But I sure do miss it.

Do you read mostly online or do you print things? What’s your system?

9 Responses to “Print or online?”

1. Jamie says:

Like you, I have a TON of things open any given moment. I too miss good, old-fashioned reading on paper…two things that help me cope, the Fresh Start and TooManyTabs extensions for Google Chrome. I can save and “pause” entire tangents at a time ;)
    .-= Jamie´s last blog ..7 Best SEO Resources for Beginners =-.

2. Tom James says:

Well for example in my case I opted for digital textbooks online so that I could do something for the planet, saving tons of paper!!!

3. Jenny says:

Nothing compares with old-fashioned reading on paper. I read books on paper, but newspapers, magazines and business articles I read them only online. And in most cases I read only what interest me, so i don’t buy the newspaper for only two or three articles.

4. Revitol says:

I tend to just read articles on the monitor. Can’t even consider reading an e-book though. Too long for my comfort.
    .-= Revitol´s last blog ..Liposuction Cellulite – Is It The Way To Go =-.

5. i prefer reading it online yes we can highlight it..so no waste of paper.

6. I prefer to read things in print. I would love to buy a kindle one of these days, so I can read all of my digital products away from my computer.

7. michael says:

The ‘old school’ method of writing and reading is still unbeatable. Even though the new online method of reading and writing articles online may sound interesting and convenient, but it still cannot take away the sheer beauty of penning down your thoughts on a piece of paper.

The flow of ideas on paper is different as compared to your word documents. I would rather read out from a newspaper or a book than online.
    .-= michael´s last blog ..Keep your heart health in mind =-.

8. Jane Morley says:

I still love to read books and newspapers – I don’t like things like Kindle or reading ebooks they just aren’t the same for me.

However, I love reading blogs, articles and forums onlines. I like the informality of it and the way it immediately produces discussion.

9. Steve says:

I agree, sometimes it’s good to get away from the screen and read something on actual paper. It’s tough because printing out isn’t environmentally friendly, yet it gives your eyes a break from the computer!