Single homeschooling writer-for-hire

Playground

As I mentioned last time, I decided to go back to school to get my teaching certification. When I enrolled, my plan was to eventually become a classroom teacher. My thought process was that my daughter would soon be starting school, and by being a teacher I would have the same vacations and similar hours.

What I didn’t count on was that the more I learned about the field of education, the more I’d want to homeschool my daughter.

But that’s what happened! So now I’m really and truly on the path to homeschooling my daughter. My method as a preschool homeschooler will be “unschooling.” Lots of time at parks, libraries, grocery stores, museums, and other unstructured activities. There’s plenty for her to learn while just living.

Just to be on the safe side, I recently enrolled her in the neighborhood school’s kindergarten class. But when I interviewed the principal of this “excelling” school, he went on and on about how much the children learn, how well they’re able to read and write, and just gushed about their academic program.

My response? When do they play??

Turns out there isn’t much play in most kindergarten anymore, even though it’s what 5-year-olds need. I dis-enrolled her shortly after.

My plan as a single homeschooling parent? For kindergarten I’m going to enroll her in a play-based preschool that accepts older kids, so when she needs to play with other kids she has a place to go. I’ll take care of the academics.  I will be investigating a play-based kindergarten program I found in town (a charter school), but I have a feeling it won’t fit the bill (besides, they want her to go to school every day). After that, we’ll see.

Am I still a writer? Definitely, though it’ll take a backseat to my studies and homeschooling. At the same time, I’ll need more than just student loans to pay the bills. So stay tuned for my single homeschooling saga.

Are you homeschooling? Have you considered it?

20 Responses to “Single homeschooling writer-for-hire”

1. Thank you for nice post. No, I am not a homeschooling yet. I am waiting for my child in the next 3 months. I will be and will do as you do.
    .-= Money Management UK´s last blog ..Enquiry Form Thank You =-.

2. CFD Trade says:

I am planning to homeschool my kid. I hope it works for the two of us. The net is an ally for the time being. I use it to introduce her to some things.

3. I am not going to homeschool my kids. They need to be socializing with other children in school.

4. Way back in the day I was in a play-based kindergarten class and mostly learned how to interact in a social environment. The problem was that after kindergarten I moved and the new school I attended assumed I had reading level above spelling out three-letter words.

Out-of-class tutoring put me on equal footing with the other kids, and actually moved me ahead.

5. We’re also thinking about homeschool. Our kids attend christian school we really like, but money is getting tight so we’ve been thinking of homeschooling. I’m just not sure if we can handle kids being home all day. I can just see them complaining of being bored. What do you think?
    .-= Costofbankruptcy´s last blog ..Cost of Bankruptcy =-.

6. Dan Wright says:

You won’t regret giving your child some school/play balance. Kids need to be kids!

7. Lisa says:

My aunt homeschooled my three cousins until they were in High School. It was by far the best thing she could have done for them. They are well rounded, beautiful, intelligent, kind, warm, talented young adults now. If I ever had kids, I’d home school without a doubt!

Good Luck!
    Lisa
    Yoga Thailand

8. Esop says:

It’s hard to find a good school and most important is they’re teaching. I want my child not only to learn but to interact with other kids, play and learn at the same time.

9. Easy Livin says:

I’m homeschooling my only child currently. Like you, I believe in play-n-learn concept for kids. Personally I think homeschooling is healthier and more conducive to learning while growing up.
    .-= Easy Livin´s last blog ..Mind and Body Connection: You Can Heal Yourself =-.

10. Tracy says:

When I hear my step kids (6&8) talk I am appalled at how their school sounds. But being just a step parent there is not much I can do since their mom insists on controlling everything.

11. Alan Thomas says:

FRom an academic standpoint I would consider it…I think schools expect far too little of kids – but I think school is so important for learning to deal with social situations.
    .-= Alan Thomas´s last blog ..Crabgrass control and your lawn =-.

12. Tracey says:

That’s brave of you to homeschool your daughter. I went to public school and had a great education plus I have found memories of playing at recess. I’m sorry that you can’t find a good school in your area, but she might miss out on the friends and memories of going to an actual school.

either way good luck on your journey.
    .-= Tracey´s last blog ..About Site Sell =-.

13. Jenny says:

The bad part in homeschooling is the fact that the kid is missing a lot of fun, friendships are made in this period. And as someone said, aren’t you afraid that one day your daughter will come to you and say she is bored?

14. Homeschooling kids may be the best that parents can do. However, parents need to work on their child’s socialization so that they will still mingle with other kids.
    .-= Computer Support Hertfordshire ´s last blog ..Exchange Store Fragmentation =-.

15. Shadow says:

I’m not gonna do that, but homeschooling kids is a good thing.

16. i was home schooled too but i would still prefer regular schools.~`.

17. [...] who’ve been reading Crayon Writer for a while, you know I strongly want to homeschool or even unschool my now five-year-old daughter. As a single mother, though, I recognize that we need time apart, so I [...]

18. i was home schooled and it is quite satisfactory when providing basic education-:*

19. I think that kids need equal time play and structured learning activities. All play and they miss some some of the analytical development necessary for problem solving. No play and they under-develop social skills. I think a combination of school and extracurricular actives like sports or groups is good for children.

20. I think it’s funny when people say that homeschooling is bad because children need socialization…like public school is the only way to do that. But, homeschooling is the best option today, because unfortunately the public school system is failing our children. Now they’re taking competition out, and gifted students get lost in the classroom.
    Free Homeschooling Resources´s last blog post ..Virtual Field Trips