Well-fed Writing

Now that I’ve decided to make my freelance writing business really work, I realize it’s time to make some serious moves.

First thing’s first. I need powerful ammunition to stay on-task and motivated. The first book I read on freelance commercial writing was The Well-Fed Writer, by Peter Bowerman. His book laid out an easy-to-follow blueprint for success, and when I followed directions I really did make money. I had clients, a decent income, and I was on my way.

I do tend to get side-tracked (as you know), and Peter’s book was written mostly from his point-of-view. But he just published a new, updated, expanded edition. There are lots of anecdotes from other successful commercial writers, and I’m just so impressed with what he’s accomplished with this edition.

And his book came at just the right time. Right after I made my decision to get serious with my business, I got an email from him alerting me to his newest book. Serendipitous!

I’m also impressed with Peter’s willingness to answer questions. I’ve had several replies from him, though I’m careful not to overdo asking him stuff. Being personable has won me over as a fan. I’d buy and promote almost anything he writes since he takes the time to respond to inquiries.

Do you have dreams of becoming a successful commercial writer? Maybe we could start a writer’s group to motivate each other. Or if you already have a freelance writing business, maybe you need a good kick in the rear too.

Click on this link to check out the new edition of The Well-Fed Writer. You can buy it in ebook or hardcopy formats (or both), and there are a few other ebooks you should consider as well. I also got the Toolbox and Timeline, both of which are well-worth it.

When you buy it, let me know. I’d love to have others to discuss it with, and you can feel free to leave a mini-review in the comments.

What are you waiting for? Check out the 2009 The Well-Fed Writer and let me know if you’re as impressed with it as I am. His site also has a bunch of free things too, so if you’re even a little bit interested you should head over to The Well-Fed Writer.

Have you been bitten by the commercial writing bug?

15 Responses to “Well-fed Writing”

1. Evelyn says:

I’m planning to purchase a copy of the book, and I would love to join a writer’s group. Please count me in. ;-)

Hi Evelyn, sounds great! Email me at theda@thedakcommunications.com and we can get started. It helps to stay accountable to someone else, and we can share successes and possibly work if one of gets too much (cross our fingers).

There’s a discussion about writers’ groups in his book…haven’t gotten to that chapter yet, though.

I think maybe you might also want to read this – http://www.skelliewag.org/30-days-to-become-a-freelancer-961.htm

Not saying you’ll learn some magic freelancing spells, but at the very least, it gives you some discipline, and helps you focus on things which don’t seem important now, but might help afterwards.

3. I think no matter what you do it helps to keep reading and studying what others say about it. It keeps you motivated, and it keeps you on your toes. With writing and working at home, you need those motivational pushes all the more. Sounds like a good book and I plan to read it too.

4. Congratulations on your new determination Theda. I hope you are a “Well Fed Writer.”

5. The Well-Fed Writer is a great book! Though I have not gone all the way, it has helped me to start making progress as a writer who can make a living.
    .-= Joshua Dodson´s last blog ..The Research Process =-.

6. [...] So that’s the first step in my quest to becoming a “well-fed” writer. [...]

7. kamuran21 says:

maybe i can be a writer someday.

8. Mick says:

I wish you luck in writing and hope soon hear:)))!

9. Banks says:

It sounds like you could make this into a series on following the book. Maybe a movie deal is not far off.
    .-= Banks´s last blog ..Bank CD Rates September 17, 2009 =-.

10. This is a great book. I also really love Jenna Glatzer’s “How to Make a Real Living as a Freelance Writer.” That is aimed more at magazine writing, but she also offers great info on research and finding work. Good luck on your current project and I hope it works out even beyond your best expectations.
    .-= Writing Desk Jockey´s last blog ..Evolution of the Writing Desk =-.

11. Lisa says:

Hello

Thanks for sharing your experience, its really impressed those who want to write and also guide them.

Its helped for those who want to write but don’t know how to start..i would love to join the writer’s group..:)

Thanks
    spanish school spain

12. We’re in the same business! Hooray :) It’s a bit of a challenge but I’m inspired and motivated so I keep going.

Megan J.
    Article Writer
    .-= Article Writer´s last blog ..Advice from our Master Forum Poster: How to Choose the Right Forum Posting Service for Your Forum =-.

13. travelycia says:

i get inspire when i see people like you.maybe i can make an e-book and be a writer and maybe the right time has come for me,too.