Back to work (at home)

Parasail

Sometimes it makes sense to follow your instincts. In my case, working outside of the home while my daughter went to preschool just wasn’t feeling right. Besides, I was only working part-time (not near my house). And my brilliant 4-year-old figured out how to get sent home every other day or so (if she acts up, they send her home…great incentive to misbehave, don’t you think?)

So it’s back to working from home, which is where my heart is anyway.

I’ve got a few plans and ideas to make this work this time.

Blogging is a great way to make a little income, and for some it can be more than just a little. I’m going to get back to blogging basics, which includes article marketing, affiliate programs, and flat out advertising. I have to regain my PageRank so I can be more competitive. I will also take advantage of the various blogging classes offered online, some for free, and some not. I can figure it out all by myself, but it makes sense to also learn from others’ mistakes and successes.

My writing/editing business will be transformed into a marketing consultant business. And of course that means more cold calls, cold emails, and networking.

Speaking of networking, I’ll continue to enhance my brand using Twitter, and I’ll consider using Facebook and LinkedIn as well.

I’m also considering doing some in-home childcare, but that will take careful thought and planning. Babies are pretty easy, but they still require full-time attention. There’s an after-school crowd in my neighborhood, though, so maybe some latch-key babysitting and tutoring will work better.

Lots of work ahead of me, but being home for my daughter is worth it. Homeschooling is my ultimate goal, and with determination I know we can do it. Wish us luck, check back here often, follow us on Twitter, and tell your friends/colleagues to visit too.

What is your heart’s desire? Are you working toward that goal?

23 Responses to “Back to work (at home)”

1. Tajuana says:

Theda,
    I did it. Check out my first up and running blog. Thanks for the help. Just help me stay motivated and I will do the same for you! I like your latest post!!:-) Go for it!
    .-= Tajuana´s last blog ..Day 3 in the Blogosphere =-.

Congratulations! Yay! You can do it. Just keep writing, and start reading (and commenting on) others’ blogs.

Welcome to the blogosphere!

2. I struggled with this myself with two little boys. As you can see from my name above – I started typing papers and insurance forms to stay at home with them. Here 15 years later the boys are grown and married but I am still “typing papers” only now I have a staff and do all the programming. Hang in there Mom!

Hi Data Entry Lady, thanks for dropping by and for letting me know that there are others who work at home to stay with their kids. I’m not the only one.

3. Hilary says:

In my opinion, for social media networking, I believe you will get the best roi linkedin > twitter > facebook.

Maybe something you might take into consideration when trying to allocate your time.

Thanks Hilary, I guess I really need to get started on LinkedIn then. I’d been avoiding it, but I keep hearing great things.

4. Wish you all the best of luck. Don’t take on too many things at home so that there will be no time blogging 😉

Mikael
    .-= Mikael @ Retire Rich´s last blog ..Why You Need a Financial Planning Course =-.

Good point, Mikael. That is definitely something I’ve been known to do. There’s so many interesting things out there, and I try it all. Focus…focus!

Can never go wrong if you follow your heart. Besides, it’ll be a lot easier to just turn around and go back to sleep, if you don’t feel like getting up. 🙂

Exactly! Well, not really. My little one never lets me sleep during the day. But just knowing I have that option makes me feel good. 🙂

6. MiaC. says:

As they say, home is where the heart is! =) I guess it doesn’t really matter where you are as long as you are contented and happy with what you are doing, then by all means live your life and live it well! good luck and more power!

7. Evelyn says:

I’m happy for you, and I’m cheering for you as well. Babies don’t keep, so you are making a wonderful choice.
    .-= Evelyn´s last blog ..Article Writing Tips: Never, Ever Run out of Ideas =-.

8. Indie says:

9. Eren Mckay says:

Theda,
    That is the precise reason that I stay home- to be near my boys. This last week my youngest got sick and my oldest got a nail stuck in his hand. If I were outside the home how would I take care of them?
    That’s why I decided to start a blog and called it Embracing Home. Because there’s no better place to be on Earth than at home.
    By the way, I just followed you on Twitter 😉
    All the best,
    Eren
    .-= Eren Mckay´s last blog ..Weight Loss Motivation Tips Lose Weight Encouragement Quotes =-.

Thanks Eren! Now to just figure out how to make this all work while single parenting too. I’m thinking I’ll still use a sitter during the day, but homeschool when I’m not working from home. For now.

10. Eren Mckay says:

Hi Theda-
    I totally know what you mean- a sitter is a great option if you ask me.
    I have a helper come in and just watch the boys and sometimes I just lock my home office and say I can’t be interrupted right now. If I don’t do that I truly can’t get things done.
    It’s gotten much better but there are days when it’s terrible. The other day, I timed the boys- they stopped my flow of work 13 times in 4 hours because of their bickering.
    So I totally get how challenging it can get.
    Hope you find solutions that work for you.
    All the best,
    Eren

11. Congratulations and good luck (and welcome home, to work). Working at home is certainly a blessing yet a challenge with young children but once you figure out how best to manage your work time vs mommy time (or daddy time) it is so very worth it.
    .-= Earth Friendly Goodies´s last blog ..Zen Beautiful Fair Trade Organic Yoga Clothes =-.

12. alternative says:

good for you.. goodluck me, im still waiting for the right time to stop playing the old game. time to learn how to create opportunities so i can get back to work at home faster, doing where im good at and making money – without any competition for the job in corporate world.

13. Lowell says:

I work from home, too and it’s rewarding. Nice to be able to run errands when I want. The only problem is that I seem to always be working. Having an office allows someone to separate business from personal life.

14. Turisuna says:

I’m tired to work out side and wasting my time on the road cause of traffic jam. I wish I can work from home too. I’m trying to start it now, and hopefully I can make it as my full time job. Thanks for your story, it makes me more motivated now.

15. Sarah D says:

Traffic,stress,no time with kids! that used to be me ,but now i work from home i get to spend more time with my kids and husband and not spend my life in traffic jams or stressing out if paperwork will be ready in time

16. Kristina says:

I have been working from home for over a year and I love it more than anything. Sometimes I may have to work more hours because i work for myself, but the plus is I can make my own hours and make sure I have plenty of time in between work hours to sped with family. At first it was hard to balance it all out but after a few weeks I had a nice schedule set up where everything flows just perfectly.