Start at the very beginning

Running track 1

As “Maria” from The Sound of Music says, starting at the very beginning is a very good place to start.

Recently I wrote Anne over at AboutFreelancing.com because I realize I feel like my freelance writing career needs to start over. While I don’t have to start over from scratch (I do have a good portfolio), I do need to get started again.

One piece of advice she had for me was to start writing on Crayon Writer again, even if it’s just a little bit, so here I am.

Next, I need to figure out what’s holding me back from being the writer I know I am.

What about you? Are you living your dreams? Any advice for those of us who aren’t quite ready?

10 Responses to “Start at the very beginning”

1. Theda,

Posting to your blog regularly is a good start.

You need to be proactive rather than waiting for something to happen. Start with a simple plan for a day or a week. Decide what you want to focus and start looking for gigs. Plan to visit x job boards each week, submit y queries, etc. It doesn’t have to be a lot if your time is limited, but take a little action often.

Lillie Ammann’s last blog post..By: All Freelance Writing » What Writing Blogs are Your Must-Reads?

Hi Lillie,

Thanks! I keep hearing about querying and magazine writing. I’ve never given that a shot, but maybe I should. I’ve been focused on business copywriting, but there are lots of types of writing.

It’s hard not to doubt myself, though. I said I didn’t have the money to focus properly, and now that I have a job (and money), I don’t have time. What a catch 22!

2. Theda,

You can still focus on business copywriting. Just include in your plan apply for so many gigs a week or whatever. The two things I’d suggest you focus on are determining what kind of writing you want to do (you don’t have to limit yourself but with limited time, it’s best to focus on one thing) and make a plan to get work.

3. Delo says:

Maybe you can try sending articles to companies that don’t even offer any new job openings for copywriters at the moment. One of my friends just sent a few articles about different topics to large news companies and soon got a job as a journalist there.. so it’s possible to get lucky that way…

4. I am a writer for Associated Content and earn income from my writing both in up-front payments as well as pageviews – which total over three million. You may want to consider AC as an option for boucing back on the writing train, so to speak. Good luck!

5. Andrea Bock says:

I’m a little bit off on what I want. But I’m still keeping my hopes up.

Here we go again, Theda. Hope this one finds it’s way into the world. And again, I’m glad you satreted writing again.

Triphow Ling’s last blog post..Sustainable Travel in California

7. I totally agree with Lillie.

8. Kirk says:

hehe, loved that movie… not really living a dream, but i just wanted to share a line that would keep me going whenever i come across a bump on the road or whenever something needs starting over… “the best time to start is now”… it’s by and large what motivates me since i have a huuge problem with starting an endeavor or starting at anything for that matter…

9. Dara says:

I think it’s normal to have bumps in the road when it comes to a career–especially if you are the type to be critical of yourself! I think the first step is writing, even if you don’t like what comes out. There is always time to refine :)

Dara’s last blog post..Which is more trashy and slutty?