Working at your best

Arizona Sunrise

I often claim that I don’t want to work a 9-5 job because I’m not a morning person. But that isn’t quite accurate. I actually find that I’m most focused and energetic in the morning hours.

For instance, right now it’s almost 10 a.m. and I’ve cleaned my fish tank, cleaned up my daughter, done some research, caught up with my Facebook account, edited a few blog posts, and now I’m writing this post.

In the late night hours I’m beginning to find that I don’t concentrate as well as I used to. During my college years, I spent a lot of time doing my best work in the midnight hours, sometimes pulling all-nighters. But if you got a chance to read over my last few posts (all written at night), you might have noticed some unforgivable errors. (Hopefully I caught them all this morning).

While I do have more time in the evening, my mind can’t focus on details so well. Perhaps it makes sense to write drafts at night, editing them in the morning. Or maybe the midnight hours should be reserved for tasks that are no-brainers (like household chores).

When do you do your best work? Does it depend on the type of work? Has it changed over time for you as well?

10 Responses to “Working at your best”

1. kouji says:

what i find important is that i’m not disturbed. so that usually means that i tend to get more work done both in the early morning and mid to late evening.

the hours in between are just too busy. too many people around, and too many distractions. when people haven’t yet woken up, or are already sleeping, i find i can really focus more. 🙂

kouji’s last blog post..solar power battery chargers, in general

2. i do my best work when I don’t have any other responsibilities – or at least they are taken care of. I do my best writing when I am home alone or the kids are still asleep in the morning. In the evening, I can come up with creative ideas, but I can’t necessarily make those ideas become reality in the late hours. I can’t focus on the detail as well. Great post. I love your blog. AZ Mom of Many hats!

AZ Mom of Many Hats’s last blog post..The Long, Long, Long Run

Problem is that its easier to stay up than it is to get up. That’s why lazy bums 🙂 usually manage to convince themselves that they can do more by sitting up late. That’s not true. Morning work is the best.

4. I can do my best work from afternoon until evening but I can’t think properly when I am tired so I usually do the planning and other tasks that require concentration in the afternoon. I reserve the house chores in the evening.

5. Alphane Moon says:

Writing seems to be easier in the evening or at night for me, when the day is already over. I noticed that there is one time interval in the morning during which I can concentrate much better than in the afternoon, this is good for studying. But creativity comes to me in the evening hours …

Alphane Moon’s last blog post..Aleuria aurantia (Pyronemataceae)

6. I like to write in bed myself. Usually my cats keep me company 🙂

7. credit pfa says:

It really depends on the person. I’m a morning person too, working 9 to 5 but I’m also very active in the evening.

8. Ernie Small says:

i have found that as i have gotten older i do less and less good work at night. the night time used to be the right time for me, the darkness and quietness of both outside distractions and the phone not ringing as much would create the perfect backdrop for the both creativity and productivity, but nowadays the daytime seems to moreso inspire me to “get the lead out” as it were. i wonder if others have experienced this shift as they have gotten older?

9. Monavie says:

I’m more of a morning person as far as work goes…as much as I’d like to sleep in! I remember pulling all nighters for assignments. I wonder how we were ever able to even formulate any thoughts that late!

10. max says:

I think the most productive time for humans is in the early morning hours, just after the sun rise. However most of the people do their stuff late in night, this is just because of our life styles, if we develop a habit of sleeping in time then we can easily get up in the morning