Why Write?

“What’s your passion?”

That’s a question I hate hearing, because I can never answer it. I’m interested in a variety of things, but I can say that writing is something I always go back to.

Lately I’ve been thinking about the different kinds of professional writing, and I realized I was only focused on one type. Most of my writing clients have been businesses who needed press releases, web content, and other commercial copywriting.

Magazine writing is another field that sounds promising, and it fits my writing style a little more closely.

Recently I read a “how-to” article about magazine writing at Suite 101, and the author recommended writing every day, even if it’s a personal journal. She also said that writers love to write.

Personally, I can’t say that I love writing, and I don’t write every day, but I do feel a strong connection with writing. It comes easily, maybe because I love to talk. And I’m good at it. But if I follow conventional wisdom, I’d give it up because it’s not my passion.

What about you? Do you think it’s a requirement to be passionate about a career before you try it? If you’re a writer too, why do you write?

13 Responses to “Why Write?”

1. I would say definitely your passion is in writing even though you don’t “love” it as you do it very well. Most people don’t know what they really love so I would say, “try it” first as you never know where it will lead. Of course if you know what you want already then by all means, go for it!

SG Entrepreneur’s last blog post..Hong Kong’s Tasty Ghouls

2. kouji says:

i like to read. i think that helps.

i wouldn’t say that i feel particularly passionate about writing (and when i do write, my output’s extremely short anyway). what i can say though, is that when i do churn out something i like, it gives me a bit of a thrill, a rush. 🙂

kouji’s last blog post..haiku poem example

If you want to understand why writers write, then you need to read this speech by Orhan Pamuk

That is probably the single most important speech about writing ever given by a writer.

4. I am interested in writing. I have written many scripts as well as Literatures. I think writting is a passion for me.

5. Alan K says:

I wouldn’t say you have to be passionate about a career choice before starting it but you should at least have an interest. The passion will come later if it’s truly what you want to do.

6. Stanley says:

No matter what your passionate about, there are times when you dont want to do it! Maybe its tiredness or procratination. Ever since I started a blog, I now write almost everyday and I enjoy it. And my true passion ‘Drawing’ has improved since it has made me draw nearly every day also!

Stanley’s last blog post..I Predict A New ‘View’ Fight Today!

7. John says:

In all my years I’ve always enjoyed writing. It was a passion for me since I was a kid, the ability to convey images of the mind and passionate feelings of the heart? GREAT I thought, what a wonderful way to express them.
    However, for me it’s not just the succession or the want to make money (Though its part and parcel of what I enjoy doing) it’s also about delivering a vision. Its to change minds, its to make people think about themselves and the world around them differently.

Regards,

John

8. I write because I often have to research new topics when I do. And so the more I write, the more I learn.

Health and Nature Blog’s last blog post..Selective logging in the Brazillian Amazon is worse then previously thought

9. Bobby says:

I’m not a writer and I’m not good in terms of writing. But I strongly believe that it is a requirement to be passionate about a career before trying it. I took education for my studies and only to find out that I’m not passionate about teaching.

Bobby
    Make Homemade Fragrances

Bobby’s last blog post..Perfume:The Story of a Murderer

10. I think you always have better chances of success/satisfaction by pursuing your passion(s). (Do we have to only have one?) However, it shouldn’t be a requirement to try something out. Sometimes, as you seem to be finding, this process of learning about ourselves takes place best organically – by trying different things out.I think sometimes you can have a gift, like you apparently do for writing, and not necessarily have a “passion” for it. But you say you can’t answer the “what’s your passion?” question about anything – maybe finding that answer is part of the journey you’re on right now.

11. Water says:

I am not a writer, but I love to write. I just write when I want. There is no other reason.

Water’s last blog post..Water for Fuel

12. Passion? Maybe yes. But it also pays the bills even when I don’t feel passionate. 🙂

Copywriter Ray Edwards’s last blog post..The Most Ripped-Off Article In Internet Marketing History

13. Alice Radio says:

definitely not only writting but to do everything need passion. if you write with passion then readers could feel your passion by words. that’s emotional stuff but effective.