Just ask

One of the life lessons that I keep relearning is to just ask.

When I had a problem with paying a bill on time, I called the company and just asked for an extension. When I was given a replacement laptop after my first one broke (before the warranty ran out), I just asked for an extended warranty (for free).

Now I just have to apply that fearless asking to my entrepreneurial efforts…and so should you.

How can you get new clients? Call or email them and just ask for their business. Or just ask your friends, family, and colleagues for referrals.

How can you get a magazine to take your story? Well they certainly won’t say ‘Yes’ if don’t ask them first.

What’s the worst that will likely happen? You’ll hear, “No.” Or maybe, “No!!” Personally, when it comes to most things I don’t take no as a final answer, but there’s always a point where you have to let it go.

My three-year-old daughter has certainly mastered the concept. She asks for things all the time, or for situations (like getting picked up instead of walking), and she’s rather successful. Hearing “No” doesn’t deter her much either.

So get out there! Don’t hold your tongue. Especially when it comes to everyday issues like bills and such. Just ask. You’ll be surprised how easy it is.

9 Responses to “Just ask”

1. kouji haiku says:

true. if you don’t ask, then you’re not even giving yourself a chance.

kouji haiku’s last blog post..blog action day 2008 poverty haiku

2. Lina says:

YES! If people don’t already know you, they won’t – if you are not going to tell them about who you are and what you do. If you have a question – it is always better to ask directly than to stay guessing (you at least have the answer, even if negative one and you can start acting accordingly). Asking is a good thing:)

3. Yeah! Ask is the only free thing in the world. This article is definitely a good read for me! Interesting and very informative.

4. Thanks this is nice advice and it is the fact thing. If anything break during warranty period then dealer is responsible for replace it.

5. Danny Cooper says:

Most peoples biggest fear is rejection, once you overcome that and start asking things the results can be very surprising, I have learnt that very recently while talking to bloggers.

Danny Cooper’s last blog post..8 Ways You Can Support Blog Action Day 2008

And sometimes people appreciate that you had the guts to ask, and so they take a bit of extra effort, which can lead to some pleasant surprises. Doesn’t always happen, but can’t hurt to try. 🙂

7. curtain girl says:

Without asking you don’t get anything. And if you do, a lot of doors can open for you. Considering the risks, we are wise if we always go for it.

curtain girl’s last blog post..Using Window Blinds In Your Home

8. Myron Tay says:

Good train of thought. Being Chinese it has always been hard to cold call or do hard sell.

Myron Tay’s last blog post..Marketing terms in the digital landscape

9. When you ask most people will listen, this is why you will get 99.9% of what you ask for, businesses want you to contact them if there is a problem, they do not want you to just ignore them.

When I was an apprentice, I was always told, if in doubt, ASK! This is something I have instilled into my children.

Tony.