Three is the charm

Running a business is hard work, as we all know.

Coupled with single parenting and attempting to work solely from home, I’ve had to make some tough choices. Now that my daughter’s three years old, we’re giving daycare/preschool a second chance, and it seems to be working. She likes the teachers, she asks to go to school, she hasn’t gotten a cold yet (knock on wood…but she’s been there 7 days), and now I have my time freed up a bit.

The great thing about her new school is they don’t run it like a typical daycare or preschool. The kids have a general structure, but then they’re allowed to decide what they want to do. The teaching style is Reggio Emilia, and is similar to Montessori schools. I think that’s one reason she likes it. Also, her main teacher “got” her immediately.

The next tough choice was whether to pour myself into my businesses, or work on a part-time job. For now, I’m going to work as a substitute teacher to take off some financial pressure. In my free time, or days when I can’t find an assignment, I’ll be blogging, freelancing, and/or working my direct sales business.

My goal? Besides raising a happy and healthy girl, I still plan to be an entrepreneur only. I’m just taking a detour for now.

Have you taken a part-time job while still pursuing your entrepreneurial dreams? Share with us!

13 Responses to “Three is the charm”

1. maya says:

i have a part time job and i stay home with my daughter, who is almost 3. my real dream job will have something to do with photography, but for now (and the past 3.5 years) i’m an editor for a company where i used to work full time, in-house. i barely have time to get everything done (meaning that i don’t get everything done – not even close!), but i’ll do whatever i can to stay home with my girl. 🙂

best of luck to you.

maya’s last blog post..Details of Erwin, TN

Way this works is that you find a job, do your entrepreuring on the side, and don’t quit your job until you’re absolutely sure that your business can pay all the bills. Then you quit your job and become filthy rich. 🙂

3. Theda K. says:

Yeah, I’m finally starting to see that’s how it works, as much as I hate to admit it. But we had a three good years and we need a break from each other anyway.

4. Lori says:

Theda, I’ve been there on all facets of this. Single mom, lost my main job, had to take up freelancing, AND had to get a temp job to make it through the lean times. Yes, I’ve been there. No shame in any of it, either. The first obligation is to family. Second, the job. It all falls into place the way it’s supposed to, hon!

Lori’s last blog post..McDonald’s Economics

5. BigSky says:

It is so tough wanting to create a business for yourself but yet still having to keep the lights on. Persistence does pay off. You’ve got the right mindset and will make it!

6. TigerTom says:

If the child is happy there, that sounds fine. It’s good socialisation; she’ll be more comfortable around people.

7. Three is certainly the charm. I used to think that seven was!

8. Sinead says:

Things are the same here in Ireland 🙂 I have a young son, two part time jobs and a business on the side. Some days I’m wrecked but it’s all worth it at the end of the day!

9. Soham says:

Theda, here in India we have 24 hours in a day, how many do you have.

Soham’s last blog post..HOW TO OVERCOME SHYNESS

10. I was browsing the web for some extra freelance work that I can do, thank God for the internet now I can have time to earn a good income and stay with the kids at home. Lucky for you she’s already 7, my little girl here is only 2. But everything is doing good, i am lucky enough to see her through her firsts, first time she walked, smiled, laugh, talked dada…working from home is a bit stressful..but having time for your kids and the family…is priceless…hope your enjoying your freelance jobs too..:)

11. I honestly believe that the Montessori style of teaching is one of the best developmental styles of teaching you can put a child under.

12. Glad to hear that you went with Montessori style learning. Did your daughter respond to it? How is everything going?

Montessori for Everyone’s last blog post..Doubling Your Grammar Materials with Simple Extensions

13. So happy to hear she found a place that works for her!