Daycare, work, and WordPress 2.5

Daycare is work, let me tell you!

After just three part-time days a couple of weeks ago, my daughter got a knock-out cold. Not wanting to stress her out (being in a new place while sick), and not wanting to expose her to more germs while her immune system was compromised, and not wanting to get others sick, I kept her home.

Week one came and went. The doctor said she had a sinus infection. So I’m stuck home another week with not only a busy, play-with-me-all-the-time toddler, but a sick one too. On top of that, I got the lovely cold the second week. It knocked me out for the count too. Lovely.

On the bright side, I did land a temporary gig that will allow me to focus on getting a permanent “day job” without worrying about money for a minute. If you’re a freelancer looking for a part-time or temporary thing, try promotions work. The gigs are usually pretty easy, and if you go through the main company (rather than where they outsource), they can pay pretty well. I’m working on a promotion with AMP Agency.

So things are looking up. And I have enough energy to blog again, now that my cold is on its way out.

Oh, and I finally upgraded to WordPress 2.5. Not bad. I got my visual editor back, and I get to play with a new toy. I love new programs. They keep me on my toes.

Do you blog well when you’ve got a cold? Have you upgraded to 2.5 yet?

34 Responses to “Daycare, work, and WordPress 2.5”

1. Hi dear Theda,

Congrats on the temporary gig! 🙂

Yup, I upgraded to 2.5 on the day after release. The WP Automatic Upgrade plugin was a tremendous help; took me 10 minutes at the most.

Glad you feel better again.

~Marcus

Marcus Hochstadt’s last blog post..Ryan’s View Of The Top 100

Thank you Marcus. I definitely feel human again, and I’m so relieved about the gig. Thanks for stopping by! I’ve gotta get a schedule so I can work on comments, Entrecard, and blogging (along with everything else).

Visit again soon!

Great news bout your gig. Don’t let go of it now.

As for the cold, a cold doesn’t stop my blogging, just gives it a nasty edge. 🙂

3. Hope you and the little one are feeling better soon. Congratulations on the gig.

I upgraded to WordPress 2.5 the other day, and I spent less than 2 hours upgrading 8 blogs. All went well. Yay!

Lillie Ammann’s last blog post..Building Long-Term Client Relationships – Part 2: Getting Started

4. pussreboots says:

Although I do blog when I have a cold, I don’t blog well. I keep it to a minimum one post a day… usually an easy book review.

I don’t use Word Press so can’t comment on the upgrade.

Hope you feel better.

5. LizzyT says:

Hope you are both feeling well soon and good luck in finding a permanent job!

LizzyT’s last blog post..TYNDALL CRAFT SHOW

6. Get Camping says:

Sorry to hear about the cold. Day care sure is hard work, my wife is a full time mother of 2 young boys with a 3rd baby on the way and it is certainly much tougher and draining than going to any full time job for the day.

Did WordPress 2.5 the week it came out and used the automatic upgrade with no issues. Love it, really well done and clear.

Get Camping’s last blog post..Nemo Morpho AR Tent – No More Poles

7. Ellen says:

Hi! When I get a cold or in recent years it’s been a bad sinus infection, I’m usually a big baby and can not function. It’s really bad. Regarding WP 2.5, well I just bought my own domain last week and am trying to learn how WP works. So far it is kicking my butt. But I never give up and I continue to muddle through it. As you said in your post – learning new programs keeps you on your toes. Perfectly put!!!

Ellen’s last blog post..Entrecard Linky Love

8. Wow, I am jealous of all of you who upgraded to WordPress 2.5 with no problems. I’ve just started to transition to a self-hosted WordPress blog after using Blogger for quite some time. I used my existing business web host for my new blog URL, and it was a big big mistake…I found out too late Hostcentric only had WordPress 2.2 (no Easy Upgrade!)and learned all about FTP and Filezilla in one sleepless night. Now I’m struggling with basics like putting my own photo in my header and where to put the code to verify my blog for every darn widget. I’m sure one day soon I’ll get the hang of it and then I’ll claim it was easier than labor/giving birth.

I do love your WordPress blog…
    Cheers!
    Roxiticus Desperate Housewives

Roxiticus Desperate Housewives’s last blog post..Life’s Too Short to “Drop” with an Ugly EntreCard…

9. A Maybus says:

I hope you are feeling better now. We had the same experience here with the bad cold sweeping through the family no once, but twice. We like to share.

A Maybus’s last blog post..Another quiz for you

10. Eiweiss says:

11. Im affraid to upgrade – I use blue host and they dont seem to have it listed?

regretfulmorning’s last blog post..Regretful Submission – Ping Pong Pus…

12. WordPress 2.5 was a good upgrade imo, I only had one plugin problem to fix afterwards.

As for blogging with a cold – I bet you can tell which of my posts were blogged while not feeling well :p

Popular Wealth’s last blog post..All The Tongue You’ll Ever Want Or Need

13. Hi, I just stopped by to let you know I added your blog to my “do follow” list. Thanks,

RT Cunningham
    Untwisted Vortex

Building Backlinks’s last blog post..We’re Having A Heat Wave, A Tropical Heat Wave…

14. I have never had the nerve to upgrade my blog. I’m too scared something will go terribly wrong. I know I should but I just don’t want to deal with it.

15. Yeah, daycare is hard work. One of my first jobs was in a daycare center with a class of very busy 2 year olds. Full time job that. Hope you are feeling better.

16. Play-with-me-all-the-time-todler! I couldn’t have said it better. Working at home with a little tornado can de so tiresom when the little buggers get sick! Good luck with the colds and jobs.

Scrap For Dollars’s last blog post..Make Money With Photography

17. Angela WD says:

Glad you’re feeling better – and thanks for the lead on a promotions job!

Angela WD’s last blog post..Twelve Most Persuasive Words In The English Language

18. I do not blog at all well when I’ve got a cold. I hope you’re feeling better by now!

I spent all of last weekend upgrading my blogs to WordPress 2.5 (and in there I moved another of my blogs from Blogger to WordPress. Guah).

Arachne Jericho’s last blog post..A Personal Discovery of Authority

19. H.E.Eigler says:

Found you through Entrecard 🙂

Hope you both feel better quick! My little one is teething right now, so we’re kinda in the same boat as you…just not as bad!

H.E.Eigler’s last blog post..teething pains

20. Lisa says:

My kids aren’t even sick and there are days that I would rather stay at work than come home. And to answer your questions…I don’t typically do ANYTHING when I have a cold. And I used the automatic updater to update my blog with no problems. Now that you’ve got it updated to 2.5 it’s time to update AGAIN!

Lisa’s last blog post..I Need a Miracle for my Hubby

21. I hate getting sick. For me, I’m either fine, or have the worst cold/flu ever, and am in bed for days; never anything in b/t.

Yeah, the update was a pain. Not that it was hard, just a lot of blogs to update.

Justin Briggs’s last blog post..Nashville SEO

22. hijinks says:

Good luck on the temp job! Looking forward to more posts about it.

hijinks’s last blog post..timeanddate.com

23. Im glad you are fealing better. You may have had a few weaks of suffering, but you’ve managed to come out of it stronger, and even a little wealthier

I would be interested in knowing what you mean by promotions work? How do you find that kind of work? What is involved? What kind of expertise do you need?

Clocks and Rocks’s last blog post..Artistic Stone Mantel Clocks

24. I usually wait awhile to upgrade to a newer wordpress version for them to get any bugs worked out. Sometimes I’ll even wait a few versions before upgrading.

25. cohnsey says:

hey, when are you going to post again? you dont seem to be posting that much lately.

26. Jenna says:

Sounds like you have your hands full! Hope you and your little one are feeling better soon! : ]

Jenna’s last blog post..New Construction

27. How is the new gig going? I basically ended up doing the opposite. After months of waffling between getting a day-job or not I decided I had to put the thought out of my mind and step squarley into 100%5 self-employment. So far so good, but it’s not for everyone.

As far as kids getting sick, I feel you there. I have a son in kindergarten and a baby daughter. Me son has had a couple ear infections. Lukcily the baby has only had some minor colds. Personally I feel like I have had a permanent cold for along time now.

28. Stefanie says:

Those tissues look all too familiar to me… I’m sitting here right now with one shoved up my nose (sounds disgusting, huh?) because it won’t quit running. I have the worst allergies since I moved to the MidWest… can’t wait to get back to New England!

I worked at a daycare for a bit, and sinus infections seem to be the norm there. Almost every kid there caught a sinus infection at the same time. When I got sick while working there, I caught a sinus infection and bronchitis. Terrible…

Stefanie’s last blog post..Organic, Eco-Friendly Diaper Cakes

29. Hoping you are feeling better soon. Daycare is definitely a tough job. My bestfriend’s mother is doing daycare with about 8 kids each day. Crazy times.

30. By the way…good luck with the temp job.

31. Just so ya know, from experience working in daycares and with my own daughter.. It takes about 3 months to get through the daycare colds. you’ll just get through one and then a few days later they bring home a new virus..

It does get better though 🙂

Stephanie

32. Georgia says:

I sometimes wish that my wife was the one who worked from home instead of me because it is impossible to concentrate with a newborn in the house. And my wife refuses to get any type of daycare so someone else can watch him during the day.

33. We do Daycare sites in WordPress! Contact us if you need anything!