Writer’s Block? Try this eye exercise.

812652 river stones series 1

It happens to us all at some time or another. You sit down to type a brilliant piece, and suddenly you can’t think of a thing to say.

During my Entrecard travels I found a really cool post that may help if you have writer’s block.

Assuming you can type without looking at the keyboard, try closing your eyes while you compose your masterpiece. If nothing else, it sounds like a fun exercise.

Try it and let us know how it works for you.

34 Responses to “Writer’s Block? Try this eye exercise.”

When you have writer’s block, don’t write about writer’s block. You’ll regret it immediately after you hit publish.

Go to Google News, find the latest article related to what your blog is all about and use the title of said article, quote extensively from it (with attribution) and then add a line or two of your own wisdom. Google News is the second-best cure for writer’s block that has ever been invented. The best being typing with your eyes closed… 🙂

2. Happy Camper says:

Sounds a good idea, I can see how it could work due to less distraction.

Thanks for the tip.

Happy Camper’s last blog post..Arc’teryx Gamma MX Jacket

3. NathanKP says:

Hmm, that sounds like an interesting idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

NathanKP’s last blog post..“The Cay,” by Theodore Taylor

4. Gus Direct says:

I took a class all about finding new ways to come up with ideas. The leapfrog method is always good: start with something random, like bottle. Then think of a word you associate with bottle: like water. Continue from there: Seahorse-> Pouch->Kangaroo->Australia, etc.

5. James says:

Yeah I agree with Triphow… whenever I have writers blog I go to a couple forums related to my blog. I then browse around till I find an interesting post and then I just write about it.

James’s last blog post..Automatically posting on forums

6. I think I have to disagree with the first commenter. Back in February, I posted a list of useful tips when you cannot think a good post, or writer’s block.

Mind you, I made this post when I cannot think of a good post. Presto, I finished it and received good comment.

My conclusion is if you really love to blog, you’ll never run out of ideas.

Thanks.

guardian angel’s last blog post..Z Solutions Inc. – Not An Entrecard!

7. Joanne says:

When I have writers block, I read the newspaper. By the time I’m done, I usually have 3-4 ideas for posts. If that doesn’t help, I go for a walk outisde and clear my head. 🙂

Joanne’s last blog post..Blogs and Sites That Linked To Us

8. Mark says:

great tips. i’m always writing blogs so this is a great help. thanks for sharing this info.

Mark’s last blog post..I Awoke and There Stood Alessandra, Marisa, and Miranda

9. Chelle says:

That is a really neat idea I never would have thought of!! I suppose we could resort to pen & paper if need be 🙂

Chelle’s last blog post..Should You Remain “Just Friends”?

10. I get writers blog or “bloggers block” all the time. I’ll give this a try, see if it helps.

Forex Profiting’s last blog post..Forex Profiting

11. I love these tips for writers block which I suffer from often! I also wanted you to know that I am a droper but found your blog interesting enough to stay and read. After a few visits I decided to favorite your blog. I’ll be back for more!

Mark from car questions’s last blog post..Apr 12, Online Auto Repair Help

12. WordPlay says:

To circumvent writer’s block, I subscribe to blogs via e-mail and when I get an e-mail about a subject that might be interesting to write about, I put it in a “blog article ideas” folder in Outlook.

After a few months of doing this, I now have a nice collection of article ideas. With so much to chose from, I usually find something that inspires me.

WordPlay’s last blog post..Mother’s Day Gifts for Moms Who Blog

13. Ditto Rahmat says:

When I have a writer’s block, I usually read 3-4 articles related to the topic that I’m trying to write. I usually go to EzineArticles.

Ditto Rahmat’s last blog post..Link Building Campaign – Commenting on DoFollow Blogs

14. Kristy says:

I sometimes do something like this – don’t lok at the screen – or tun it off – write every thought – even if they don’t connect. When I am done, I generally have the start of a few things to write.

Kristy’s last blog post..The evolution of the “Birthday Cake”

15. BillyWarhol says:

I find Flickr to be a great inspiration for New Ideas + also a Great Source of Fabulous Photos + Visual Images from all over the World that can enhance your Posts!

Every Blogger should check it out!!

;)) Peace*

BillyWarhol’s last blog post..REAL WILD CHILD!! 4 IGGY POP*

16. That tip sounds like an interesting idea. I am sure that Typing without seeing makes it easier…

17. Blinkiegirl says:

Thanks for the tip. I am definitely going to try it! I find myself getting writer’s block all the time. What I usually do, when I can, is change the topic and write something easy. Pick a topic I know a lot about and that is easy for me to talk about. If I really want to write on a particular topic that I am struggling with I will sometimes write on something easy first and then go back to the original topic that I was struggling with. I find just writing something, even if it wasn’t what I planned, helps me to get past my writer’s block.

18. “writer’s block” is my middle name. I’m going to try this out!

Coffee Maker Guru’s last blog post..Single Serve Coffee Comparison Chart

19. Pencilite says:

The best method that works for me is to read through my RSS feeds – most of the sites I’m subscribed to are all about art and music. I usually find these to be very inspiring.

20. That could work, I’ll have to give it a try. I like to do something entirely different and get my mind off the writing for awhile.

All Dog Leashes’s last blog post..Bungee Dog Leashes

21. Haney says:

Haha…have yet to try it.

Haney’s last blog post..Weight Matters In Getting A Date?

22. My post would look like chickens dances on my keyboard… I cannot type all that well while staring at the keyboard.

No / Low Calorie Beverages’s last blog post..Rockstar Roasted Light Vanilla

23. Juan says:

I was born with a writers block, you can’t force it, either it’s gonna come easy or if you force it the result is not good.

24. Ronny says:

I will certainly give it a try.

25. I have read the list of points on the website from which you have gave. It was really useful to all for them around the world. Because everybody on todays world need to sit in front of computer for their jobs. Thank you very much for posting this kind of yogic exercises.

26. Makeup Marie says:

I like it!! The info is flowing!

27. I should try this out. I have a hard time blogging because I guess I don’t think that life is important (or interesting) enough to write about.

28. Mary says:

That does sound like interesting thing to try but often it’s hard to determine what’s causing block-I don’t think it’s the same whether you can’t write because you’re saturated with writing and blogging in general and simply can’t find inspiration or willpower to post(which happens to anyone I guess at one point or another) or you had really rough week at job/home and loads of bad news form friends and family which stressed you out so much that you simply can’t write.

Mary’s last blog post..How Home Stagers Transform Rooms with Light

29. Faraz says:

So I guess this only applies to people who can type without looking at the keyboard 🙁

30. cohnsey says:

I tried to type with my eyes closed but i started to nod off. doh!

31. Rasterbator says:

Something, deep breath might help too. Different person have different way, Anyway, you are sharing a great article.

32. MPE says:

When I had trouble writing papers for school, I would just write absolutely anything about the subject matter. Even if it was complete garbage I’d just type it up in an attempt to get something good to pop into my head. The only downside of this is that you delete a lot of what you write because it’s not really good, so you kinda need to have some spare time to do it. This won’t really work for if you’re procrastinating and waiting ’til the last second.

33. California says:

When i have writers block (when creating my web pages), i usually just lay down and think about going on vacation…lol. For some reason that gets my creativity flowing. I guess it’s because the only way i can go on vacation would be to finish all these websites.

34. This is what I do when I have my writers block…which is very often

Just start writing on a particular topic I want after reading a few articles….after the first few paragraphs something useful starts appearing on the page which I can use…..This trick has never let me down..