How to get new clients using email

An E-mail!

If you’ve been reading Crayon Writer for a while, you know that my primary method of getting new clients is via cold emailing instead of cold calling.

I’ve never gone into much detail about how I do cold emailing, and I also wanted to discuss the anti-spam legislation as it relates to cold emailing.

Thanks to my Entrecard travels, I met a great blogger who asked me to be to his first guest blogger. I was honored, and the article I wrote is up and running. Of course, the guest post I wrote is about getting new clients using cold email.

A big thanks to Marcus Hochstadt from the Internet Business Guide for this wonderful opportunity. His blog has some very helpful information about building an Internet business, so definitely hang out there for a while. And enjoy my guest post too.

If you get a chance to check it out, please leave a comment here or on Marcus’ site (or both). We’d love to hear your thoughts!

29 Responses to “How to get new clients using email”

1. cycling says:

i’ve seen good templates in email and i think those are an important ingredient when it comes to email marketing

Left a comment on your article there. Hope it helps.

And you’re right that so long as you don’t keep pestering them again and again, CAN SPAM shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve been working for a client for 2 1/2 years now, and I’ve never met him or talked to him. In fact, he has no idea where I live. He sends me emails and I reply back, or vice versa. Works just fine, so long as you continue to deliver the goods.

Triphow Ling’s last blog post..Whats News in CA – Tuesday Specials, Drugs & Bombs

3. BaseGuardian says:

Is this not a spam? Is it okay to do so?

BaseGuardian’s last blog post..Vol. 45: New Haul.

Hi BaseGuardian,

Did you get a chance to read my guest article? I go into detail about spam or not, and I provide a link to the FTC so you can read it and decide for yourself.

From my reading of the Act, no, it’s not spam. Granted, I didn’t finish law school, so I’m not offering legal advice. If you didn’t read the article, please do, and feel free to leave your comment too.

Thanks for dropping by! Please do so again.

Theda K.

4. Theda, what a helpful article. I appreciate the clear and practical approach. I haven’t tried this method yet but I can see the value. Do you ever get very negative responses from this message?

Angela Williams Duea’s last blog post..Fanstory.com contests

Hi Angela, glad to see you again! I’ve never gotten any negative response…well, one that was snippity, but I told the prospect I noticed he didn’t have a website, and he said he did, so he wasn’t thrilled with my message. But from the basic script that I use, I’ve NEVER gotten a negative response. I only get, “Don’t need anything now. Will keep you on file,” or “I’ll forward this to the proper person,” or “We use in-house writers,” or “Yes! What are your rates,” or no response at all. I’ve sent hundreds.

Good luck if you try it!

5. @cycling. I try to avoid templates simply because some email inboxes automatically send it to the trash.

6. Dee says:

At first glance I thought it sounded like spam until I read your guest blog and saw your sample email. Good tip.

Dee’s last blog post..Sick And Tired (SAT) of Standardized Tests

7. Holly says:

That’s a great idea. I used to work for a company that used cold emailing as well as marketed through MySpace and it did wonders.

Holly’s last blog post..Breast Cancer 3 Day Walk

Hi Holly,

Thanks for the comment. I’m glad to know it’s working for others too. I haven’t figured out MySpace yet, though. Maybe I should.

8. Debra says:

loved this post on cold emailing. You and I would make a great team!

9. intranet says:

hmm thats interesting… i wouldnt have thought u could get all those customers through cold-emailing… cuz for me, i never open up my junk mail, and tahts where all my spam ends up :/

I’m sure the majority of my messages wind up in the junk mail folders, even though I’m not sending spam…just like your message isn’t spam, but it wound up in the Akismet spam folder (I find a lot of legitimate comments in the spam folder, ironically).

But spam folders/junk mail folders only filter the way you set them, for the most part. Some people don’t allow any unknown email addresses, and some are more lenient. I don’t know how many of mine make it to the proper person, but I do know that I get a decent response. Cold calling would probably be better, though.

10. intranet says:

where do u get all the peoples email addresses?

11. Kindermbel says:

WOW! That’s a great idea.I believe that spam folders/junk mail folders only filter the way you set them, for the most part.

12. to contact through email is one of the good techniques. But my question is how can we get bulk of email address. Can any one provide techniques to get email address?

13. mac says:

Using mail is another way to get client. im using this method also to get mine. For first timer it maybe sounded like spam but please read the post carefully and you will understand what im saying. Great info Theda. The readers should know about this and thanks to you they will.

14. san diego says:

Thanks Theda, great post! Do you have any suggestions on best practices on sending out bulk emails…software, bandwidth etc., it’s easy for me to get lists and prospects, but I’m wondering what would be the best way to send out bulk opt-in emails.

Thanks, San Diego.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any suggestions about sending out bulk emails, because I send out each email one at a time. It literally takes me at LEAST an hour to send 60 emails.

Sorry I couldn’t help, but please drop by anytime.

15. I have always been afraid to sen out emails due to not knowing much about SPAM issues and such. However, you have inspired me to maybe give it a go. We’ll see…

16. space code says:

This sounds like a really good way to promote your writing services. Its also perhaps less intrusive as a phonecall.

17. [...] when it’s too late at night, for instance), I’ll still make good use of my time by cold emailing prospects. I may still call them at some point, but with working during the day I won’t always be able [...]

18. Email Expert says:

Nice post! I always use email marketing not just for getting new clients but to increase sales too.

19. Luis says:

The same thing I did is i visit different websites and ask permission if i can get their emails and I also place a subscribe button to my site so that if they’re interested they could easily attach their email address. Thanks for sharing this information.
    .-= Luis´s last blog ..How to Attract More Email Subscribers =-.

20. [...] an added bonus (for me, especially), Martha includes a reference to an article I wrote a few years ago about how to use cold emailing as a marketing technique. It’s nice seeing my name in [...]