Writing is hard work. Play hooky with WildGames

Wild Games Logo (120x90)

Running your own business is hard work. Sometimes you just want to play hooky, right? As long as you do it in moderation, goofing off is obviously a good thing.

Besides watching TV, my favorite pastime is playing online video games. I would go to an arcade, but I don’t have as much time as I did when I was a kid. So now I play online games.

I used to play video games that have a timed free trial, so I would be playing happily for about an hour before it timed out. Then you have to buy the game, or just forget about it. Major bummer.

But then I stumbled across WildGames, and I’ve been hooked ever since. With WildGames each online video game comes with a free trial that lasts for about 24 hours (let’s hope you don’t goof of that long). Most of the online games allow you to play at least two times for free, as long as you don’t remain idle for more than 20 minutes.

Here’s what I do. I choose one of the hundreds of exciting online games and make sure I have a block of time to entertain myself. I play and play till my heart’s content. And if I want to check email or whatever, I do that too, making sure not to be away from the game for longer than 20 minutes. I might just unpause it for a second and get back to my email or article.

When I’m done for the day, I play again at a later date when I’m ready. If, after having really given the game a good try, I decide to buy it, I know that I must really want it. It’s the best way to try before you buy.

But if you never want to buy a particular online game, no problem. You can still play that fascinating game until you beat it. WildGames has a cool online quarters feature. Each game takes a certain number of virtual quarters, from 1 to 4. So after your free trials have ended, just buy some virtual tokens and play a few more times.

This beats buying a $20 game only to beat it after 4 plays. If you beat it that fast you could pay just $4 instead. The beauty of it is you can use tokens to play any game whose free sessions are ended. I usually buy a $10 pack, which gives me 40 tokens.

Okay, if you’re convinced, let me direct you to the cool logo in the sidebar to the right (the one that reads “WildGames.” They just launched an affiliate program, and I bet I was their first affiliate (maybe not, but as soon as I got the email I signed up). If you decide to just play a lot of the games for free, but you later decide to buy some tokens or buy a game, please come back to Crayon Writer and click on the logo here. (While you’re at it, take a look at all of the other items in the sidebar.)

And let me tell you a trick to get the $10 pack. When you go to the signup page for the WildCoins, it’ll take you the ordering page for the monthly plan at $20. Click the “back” button on the page, and it’ll offer the $9.99 or $12.99 pack.

My favorite games are the Diner’s Dash games, Cake Mania, and other casual adventure type games. They also have RPGs, action, kids, and more.

Check it out! Just don’t play too long.

If you’ve played any online games, what are your favorites?

30 Responses to “Writing is hard work. Play hooky with WildGames”

1. inflatables says:

I will play World of Warcraft I feel particularly good, but I am not indulging in which only occasionally when a frivolous pastime, the game and the reality is not the original one, so to separate!

I take it you’ve never played World of Warcraft or CounterStrike online. If you try it, you’ll know immediately what online video game addiction means. Work goes out the window. I’ve spent full nights playing WoW. Luckily, I gave it up in time to avoid losing my job. 🙂

No, thank goodness! I have been known to get hooked on games, which is why I’m careful now. My daughter would hate me, and I probably couldn’t function. Before I was a mother I used to spend all day and night playing The Sims, and that was bad enough. NO! I will NOT be tempted to try WoW. You can’t make me! LOL

3. Di says:

Hi Theta,

My own toddlers are older than that now – in the ages where they play WoW constantly when they’re not at school. It’s a $15/month (slightly less for 6 months) habit. Plus WoW is coming up with new ways to get money as well (you can buy gold, or increase your powers so you don’t really have to train or work for instance power). As a result, they’ve both grown a bit pudgy.

I have played Word Whomp, TextTwist, other word games, crossword puzzles, candy games, solitaire, other versions of solitaire, and bought Mah Jong. I find that most of the ones I return to (solitaire, Mah Jong, and TextTwist) are mindless in the sense that they grab one part of your mind and in doing so they allow the other part to unwind. I begin to meditate while I’m playing them, and let the stresses of other things go. Do you ever see this happening for yourself? I too stay away from those which are addictive on the exciting end, but I am sure i simply satisfy that need some other way.

4. I relax on movies and surfing the web for informations 🙂

Modern Dandies’s last blog post..Inspector Coat by 3.1 Phillip Lim

5. I find online games rather boring nowadays…maybe I’m just getting too old!

Houston Web Design’s last blog post..What Can Mixx Learn From the Digg Revolt?

6. Kevin says:

I also play World of Warcraft. =/ It is quite addicting and fun and adventurous, but thankfully I have it under control. It is fun though. 🙂

Kevin’s last blog post..I’m afraid

7. I could waste alot of time with online games. I restrict myself to wasting a reasonable amount of time, though. Right now, I’m playing “King Of The World” on Facebook. Pretty addictive!

Adam Thompson’s last blog post..Tips For Choosing A Sleeping Bag

8. I’m sorry to say that i don’t beleive in games. I surf net for information.

9. I prefer playing WoW or Quake. This is a great tip for playing good games online for free, but I prefer to keep playing the same game for atleast a couple of months.

10. JACL says:

Theda, I don’t think playing games is good use of time. When I was in law school, I actually became addicted to playing games in the game room. I was playing games because I was stressed out about school. I ended up missing class often because I was in the middle of a game. However, if you can play it in moderation, I suppose its ok.

11. Info says:

WoW is great online experience. But i mean, that singleplayer games are better for me.

12. […] Guess it’s time to get back to business and stop playing hooky.  […]

13. I have lost all my interest in the videogames and more concerned about making money, am I getting old?

Best Penny Stocks’s last blog post..1000 Penny Stocks

14. I’ve never gotten into online or offline gaming. I’d feel too guilty that I need to be working making money for my family. Gamers are a rare breed and make it number one on their priority list.

Skin Care Body Lotion’s last blog post..Natural Spa Body Lotion

15. Knotter says:

I’m a guilty fan of Neopets myself 🙂

16. Marty says:

Guess I’m not the only WoW addict that reads this blog then 🙂

17. David says:

Neopets? Damn! I like to watch televesion or play solitare =).

-David
    Writing articles, hip hop and business

18. Nick Fensel says:

WildTangent has been in the market a long time. I always liked their games because they were more focused on 3D action games.

19. I am a big gamer myself. I enjoy some of the same games you mentioned. I will have to give WildTangent a try.

20. I don’t think playing games is good use of time. When I was in law school, I actually became addicted to playing games in the game room. Sudenly I stop play video game any more..

Console Master’s last blog post..New PSP Games Release on March 4,2008

21. Mega PSP says:

I prefer watching a movie rather than playing games.

22. I agree, taking short breaks is necessary. I tend to work waaaay too long. However, whenever I do take a break for a bit of gaming, I like to play good ol’ Pac Man 🙂

23. Great Games says:

I’m a rather addicted gamer – everything from WoW and Eve Online to Battlefield and Command and Conquer. The more casual games like Diner Dash can be fun, and I like the extended trial credits idea, but I wonder if they’re losing money on that through the people who are able to beat the games really quickly?

24. counter strike for me was very addicted game. my cousin destroy his life. instead of going to school. he spend his time playing it..

25. blogger says:

I find online games rather boring nowadays…maybe I’m just getting too old!

blogger’s last blog post..system upgrades

26. I love playing online games too. The newest one I’m addicted to is Bouncing Balls. So simple, yet addicting. I can’t get past the fourth level. Definitely only in moderation though, haha.

27. we are addicted to playing PSP Games at home, we play at least 5 games a day~~`

28. My problem with this kind of trial service is that although I play those games really fast, i usually can’t finish it without buying, and well… if I were to buy anything, I would be paying to play WoW or another high quality MMO, I guess.