Honoring a writer: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

mlk.jpg

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a man to be honored and remembered for helping this country drag itself out of a hate-filled cesspool. We still have a difficult and long struggle ahead of us, so it’s important to be vigilant and to never forget what has been done for us.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was also known for being an extremely accomplished writer. He wrote speeches, sermons, papers, published books, and has several unpublished materials. Stanford University is one of many institutions dedicated to compiling Dr. King’s writings.

Today is a day for reflection, planning, and action. We can sit quietly and watch what Dr. King and so many others fought and died for unravel around us, or we can take a stand.

Like Dr. King, as writers our pens and sharp minds can be our weapons. Our papers and computers can be our shields. Our voices, spoken or written, can be an inspiration.

Today we honor and remember Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

8 Responses to “Honoring a writer: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.”

1. david spates says:

I made a Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day video that I think EVERYONE will enjoy. It’s really short, and should put a smile on your face.

Happy Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day everybody

David Spates

Well said. Here’s to the power of the pen, and the power of standing up to hatred and injustice, and to Dr. King.

On a side note, you’re doing good, Theda. Your writing is really good. If, at some point, you feel like you want to pour your heart on to paper (or screen), just look up ‘Natalie Goldberg’ on google.

Thank you, Triphow. I just wish I could find the time to market my blog like I need to. It may be well-written, but not enough people know it exists. I’ve found that getting a blog noticed takes time…almost like a full-time job. Of course, I didn’t really figure out there was a blogosphere until probably April or May, and I still have a lot to learn. I’ll look up Natalie Goldberg right now.

Keep commenting! I always look forward to reading what you have to say.

3. Forrest says:

One of the more amazing and most forgotten things about Dr King was that his passion extended far beyond what we think of as the Civil Rights movement. MLK advocated for anybody who needed it, including white but exploited laborers.

Arizona was very late to recognize MLK Day, for what sure seem like racial reasons. But Dr King was a hero even across racial lines. The man worked to make the planet a better place. For everyone.

Forrest’s last blog post..Storm Over Seattle from Kerry Park

4. Nintendo Wii says:

Watched David Pates video youtube … that made me really smiling. Liked that .. 🙂

Nintendo Wii’s last blog post..Nintendo Wii Games

5. Andrew says:

He was a legend. Awesome tribute. He deserves a lot more. Nice post.

Regards Andrew

6. JACL says:

Dr. King was an inspiration to everyone. He led the movement for fair and equal rights for all. He was an eloquent speaker who spoke with passion. He was a true champion of civil rights for all people regardless of religion, or race. Very nice post!

7. stormwhistle says:

Dr King had always been my role model. His words lives in my heart even he is no longer here. “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in time of comfort and convenience. The ultimate measure of a man is where he stands in time of challenges and controversy.”

stormwhistle’s last blog post..Team Hoyt – Dick and Rick Hoyt