Finding the Right Words

cash advance

Good copywriting requires knowing the right words. But what are the right words, and how do you find them?

There are three main factors. Know your audience, don’t use the same words repeatedly, and understand the feelings behind your words and phrases.

Knowing your audience is key in good copywriting. That includes knowing how to talk to them.

I found a cute test for your blog’s readability. My blog was rated as elementary school level, and I was very pleased.

My blog’s audience is pretty much anyone. All ages, all nationalities.

I don’t want my readers to have to think too hard. After all, you’re looking at a computer screen. You want to get in and get out fast, or else you’d be reading a novel.

So I write in a straightforward, natural manner. Why use a complicated word when a simpler one will get the same point across?

Try not to be repetitive with your words. Often I’ll go back over a post to see if I used any word more than once. Sometimes it’s inevitable, but for adjectives you can almost always find different variations of the same word. I use this online thesaurus for my writing jobs.

Finally, remember that some words convey a feeling or connotation. For instance, you might ask people for hints, or you might ask for suggestions. They both mean pretty much the same thing, but a hint is kind of like a secret, while a suggestion is more sophisticated (I feel).

Also, consider other’s potential feelings about certain words or phrases.

Do you have any suggestions for making the right word choice?

12 Responses to “Finding the Right Words”

1. Colin says:

Hello Theda,

Some interesting articles. Readability has to be good to be of any value to readers, and I have seen many blogs where it is just one long paragraph, which will turn many away.

Short paragraphs work best along with adding a few pictures relevant to the subjuct.

Added you on MBL too :)

Have a great weekend ahead.

Thanks for joining my MBL community, Colin! Do tell your friends too.

I agree with you about the paragraphs. I’m still trying to figure out how to get more white space between mine, but I sort of accomplish that with blockquotes.

Anyway, visit again soon, and I hope you’ll subscribe as well!

2. Theda, that was a fun site, mine ranked at junior high level, precisely where I aim it to be, nore importantly its delivered in my own unique voice. Recently I posted about that. Conversely a friend of mine who i have debated this point with endlessly graded out at genius level on her site. I can wait to debate her again.

Thanks for visiting again. I wonder how that site determines readability levels. I never really tried to aim my writing at any level, but I guess I go out of my way not to use too many big or pretentious words.

Then again, I’ve been accused of using words that are too simple, considering I know a lot more.

3. Sadly my typing is kindergarten level,

4. S.C.A.Rao says:

excellent stuff you’ve got here , Theda . Comparing with the comments above I must be at newborn level.Thanks for popping over and introducing me to your site – didn’t know newborns can comment that well, that fast!

5. Austin says:

My site was rated as 5th grade last I checked. I figured that is a good place to be.

Hi Austin. Thanks for visiting. Fifth grade sounds good to me! Again, I wish I knew how that site figures out our levels. Very interesting.

6. A copywriter always should use the right word to right place. Your tips are useful. It will help the writer to do some better. Thanks.

7. Copy Writer says:

Some very good pointers for those just starting out as copywriters. I always like ot reminf myself about the basics.